• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

24 valve cutting out, need help

lost injection pump at 129,000, bought special x from blue chip, installed with no problems, fired it up and idled perfect, let it warm up and took for a test drive and it was cutting out at all rpms except at idle. now when i say cutting out it would just die for a milisecond and come right back, perty violently. called chip and he said it is a apps problem cause it doesnt do it at idle, only when the apps goes into closed loop. he suggested i check the connections, i did and they were all good. problem went away i thought until i took it on a 400 mile trip and it did it about 20 times cruising at 75 mph. next day no problem again. about 2 weeks go by and it is back at all rpms again but intermitent. never had a prob until changed IP. recalibrated apps and it was way out of range, within .01 volt now with no change. today whwn it acted up it was doing it at idle in gear to but not in neutral. fuel press is always between 16-13. does it with chip on or off. IP does have one of chips stelth covers on it. ANY HELP APPRECIATED!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!! AND NO CODES!!!

Did you check the cover with a test light?Sometimes when you draw the set nut on the cover it pulls the screw away.Turn the key on and put a test light on the cover nut.Mine gave me some trouble at first.

Have you checked for DTC codes? It could be the APPS or perhaps one of a number of sensors. Check for codes first, to get an idea of where to concentrate your efforts to troubleshoot. You may be able to get the codes pulled and read at a local auto parts store like Auto Zone. If not, the dealer can do it but making your wallet a good bit more empty feeling in the process.

The Cam Postion Sensor is what commonly get replaced along with the IP due to the tight confines of space and general pain in the rump to get to it. Checking for codes should most likely tell you what if any sensor is the problem.

• Owner

Yeah I would check for codes first off... If the APPS is truely to blame it will throw a code. If the VP44 is to blame most likely there won't be any codes... But there is a host of different codess that can be toss by both.. http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/vp44-replace/vp44-error.htm http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/apps/apps-codes.htm

Today i was told to junk my stealth cover.The unnamed man runs a shop.He has had a number of guys with problems.He told me to solder it.When i get my new pump i am going to think about it.Maybe thats your problem?

• Owner

Today i was told to junk my stealth cover.The unnamed man runs a shop.He has had a number of guys with problems.He told me to solder it.When i get my new pump i am going to think about it.Maybe thats your problem?

Really... What wrong with a Stealth cover? :shrug:

I've got over 4 years on mine and closing the door on 75K miles without too much issues... The only one I had was the nut backed off slightly and gave a weak connection to the wire. Tighten the nut again problem solved...

Yeah but if you solder or mess with the wire most places won't warranty a pump... :shrug:

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=711

Really... What wrong with a Stealth cover? :shrug: I've got over 4 years on mine and closing the door on 75K miles without too much issues... The only one I had was the nut backed off slightly and gave a weak connection to the wire. Tighten the nut again problem solved... Yeah but if you solder or mess with the wire most places won't warranty a pump... :shrug:http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=711

Source automotive will still warranty a tap on the pump.You know michael,I only had a few problems with my cover.I think it works well.The info i was given is some are smashing the circuit board.Surging or on off was another.Mine works!It is like anything some do some dont.I really dont know what i am going to do at this point.I just have to much time to think about it.The truck is down.I did get a good core sent out so thats step one.

You said "it does it with the chip on or off" Did you turn it off on the box or did you return the truck to stock by unpluging everything? I was having problems and was told to unplug everything wire tap included.

• Owner

You said "it does it with the chip on or off" Did you turn it off on the box or did you return the truck to stock by unpluging everything? I was having problems and was told to unplug everything wire tap included.

I agree with dually... Even though I turn off my Edge Comp its still on doing boost fooling and keeping the Map sensor signal with in reason. So to truely return to stock you got to unplug everything including the wire tap...