• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

when to buy new tires

how low do you let the tread get before replacing tires?

as much as i love the ride and traction of my BFG's they are already at 6 thousands. i have just under 20K on them, not sure they'll last the winter. i have a 3-4K mile road trip coming up here on the 20'th. up through Oregon and Idaho. so i'm sure it'll kill the remaining life on these,

So what do ya'll think? AH64ID has the ST MAXX's in 255/80R17, i'm thinking about those, but how many miles might they last?

I'm in need of a nationwide tire dealer for all the traveling we do.

should i go with 18" rims? we don't tow much with this truck, not yet anyhow. it's mainly a road trip queen.

i need a good highway tire and still good snow tire. i could go with two set of tires if need be.

thoughts.

Can't really answer much in the way of when to change other then when treads to low, or you're handling is getting sketchy then get new tires. 

I'm going to get Cooper ATPs from discount tire on Monday in 285/70/17 because of @dripley's review and many other positive reviews. Pretty sure they come with a 55,000 tread warranty as well. They also have pretty good savings going on this weekend for the 4th and discount tires are everywhere.

i have those exact ones on my 04, they wear like iron. i have 48K and still at 8 thousands thread, but i'm not a fan of how loud they get or the fact that they are not all that great in snow past half tread.

but i'm a fan of those tires. i was just looking at options.

what i'm really thinking is getting another set of 18" rims and having winter and summer tires. but i have no desire to store a set... but it could be done if that's an option.

I have only had very limited opportunities to drive mine in the snow but they did quite well I found. Never had them in the snow in the latter stage of their lifetime however. As far as noise, I really dont notice it unless I am riding by the Jersey barrier on the interstate. Still not bad as far as I am concerned. But a lot of that is in what one considers noisy. Might look at some Hankooks like @Mopar1973Man is running when these go. Price will have a lot to do with that decision. The ATPs have been very good to me over the years. 

@notlimah if DT is having a sale you can get them real reasonable on sale day sure. They will stand behind the warranty too. I get their free replacement certificates and they will replace the tire no matter what you do to it. Rammed a rebar thru a brand new Michelin and they gave me a new one. Tore the sidewall open on another that was down to the wear bars and they replaced. Tore one up in Iowa and went back home without the tire and they still replaced. Did not expect that to happen. Seems I have got my moneys worth out of them. Probably broke even on them thru the years.

the set of ATP's i have on my 04 are noticeably louder than the bfg's on my 08. i'd like to stick with an American made tire if i can.

coopers and good years are what it's looking like to me.

The ATP's are a nice tire, when new up till around 40K miles. then they start to get noisier and not so good in the snow.

still hard one to beat on price and performance.

X2 on the coopers, I've run the discover series since I bought my truck in 2002. They weren't always at3 but my last two sets have been. For the price you can't beet them, I'm usually looking to swap mine out every 3 years or about 45000 miles just to make sure I had good tread for the up comming winter, since I do spend a lot of time i the snow and slush.

A few years back when the coopers started to go up in price I went with a cheaper brand that DT sold, never again, those tires were good in the snow and ice but that's about it, you couldn't hear yourself think in the cab they were so noisy. the coopers are fairly quiet as far as I'm concerned. 

I bought my my last set of at3 last July 4 weekend during thier sell and with the discount and rebate I had around 500 invested in them .

well i ended up not being able to pass up the sales event even though i don't need tires just yet. i was after new 18" rims for the load capacity. then they had some 200 mile take offs. in a Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure With Kevlar. in a LT275/70/18 LRE with a 60K mile warranty.

So my plan is to use these for my road trips and my BFG's for hunting and winter tires.The BFGs have anywhere between 6 and 8 thousands left on them. so i'm not sure how much winter driving i'll be doing with them. but we shall see.

all told i got the rims for $110 each down from 133, and tires 185 a tire down from 280, so i'm happy with that. had to get 4 TPMS sensors though at 40$ each. and lug nuts. yada yada yada... anyhow i get over 400 back in rebates as well. not sure if i was supposed to with the tires being take offs but i'm not going to complain.

And i went in to get the coopers. and the store manager was all i'll make you a great deal on these goodyears. i asked how good. and as you can see. it's a great deal. kinda hard to believe he still works there, after 20 years, he was my boss when i worked there in high school.

• Like 1