• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Timing Spudder when free revving with quad v2

Lane411

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, I've been reading it for a while and I think its great. I just got back into the vp44 game a few days ago after just purchasing one to keep the miles off the 4th gen and I have only came across one problem so far. The truck is an 01, auto, v2 quad, 50hp inj. head studs, super B, raptor 100. The truck runs perfectly fine and idles perfectly fine but when I free rev it with the quad on anything other than stock it pops and spudders and smokes a blue/white smoke. I have tired it with the default tune and a custom tune (which the iquad is amazing for custom tuning I haven't custom tuned since the pulse days around 2009) and both do it, but on stock level its fine. My custom tune is similar to nicks dd tune. I noticed that when it is free revving on stock tune the timing is 13ish and goes up from there through the rpm scale and on any quad tune at idle timing is 13ish but the second 1% throttle positon applied it drops to 8 and stays there through the rpm scale and that's when the misfire starts. The fuel pressure is good, so i'm at a loss, I would think it would be a injector or vp44 issue if it didn't run and idle fine. Any ideas?  * it also does this at any temp regardless of how long its ran.

Thanks,Lane

Edited by Lane411

ensure the latest V2 base flash is on the box under the hood.  there was an issue with free reving that I didn't catch as I never free rev my truck.  The latest flash resolves the issue however.

and here is how to load the flash

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kzimmer said:

Mine kind of does that when I free rev hard... Which doesn't happen often. I assumed it was low psi timing retard.

are you running the latest flash?  

I would assume you are right,  if you free rev and kick over that "light throttle limit" then timing will reduce and you could under time.  I am not really concerned about that.

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

are you running the latest flash?  

I PM'd you about the flash. I'll update this weekend.

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

I am not really concerned about that.

Me neither, but I did have to think about it for a few minutes, haha.

Awesome thank you for the info. Its not to concerning to me either I just want to get all the bugs worked out since it is a new truck to me. I haven't got a chance to flash yet due to the weekend, but I will try it and give you and update. thanks again