• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Has anybody come up with a way to direct air at vp. When the fan is turning it pulls all the forced air to the right side of eng. I am thinking about some way to direct it on the pump. What yall think, waisting my time or what?I got it, cut a hole in your hood and put a vp scoop on it. I know most of yall are laughing but if you been through as many vps as some of us it is starting to sound pretty good.

Most failures with the VP44 are mechanical. That is rotor and housing wear causing the dreaded P0216 code. This can really only be aided by a steel insert (slows wear, most do this now) or better lubrication (2-cycle as Mopar1973Man suggests.)However if you truck is still failing pumps due to the logic board getting too hot (a problem that was supposed to be remedied in newer pumps) then I would look less at directing air to the injection pump and more towards directing hot air out of the engine bay itself.

• Owner

The problem is the elctronics are faced against the fuel side of the module so mounting something on top isn't going to do much. The CPU cooler and fan idea was tried for many years but there but so little proof that it actually works. I've seen people use blowers from power boats with plumbed in cold outside air with a timer box that runs the blower till the VP44 is cool. But once a again there is no proof or long term testing showing that it actually worked...:shrug: I'm starting to lean back on the though of a good high volume pump like a AD 150 or FASS 150 and keeping the fuel pressure between 15-20 PSI this way I'm sure the overflow valve remains open all the time. I had a conversation with another fellow that was telling me that he works with VP30 and VP44 pumps on tractor and such too. Come to find out that both models of injection pump have a very poor ablity to pull fuel even though the have the on-board vane pump. (Which we knew to the more part). But the I'm starting to think the internal vane pump isn't really doing its job all the hot. even at low pressure like 10-14 PSI that vane pump if it was working right it should be able to pull a enough fuel to push the overflow open...

The vp is cooled by fuel.Someone is going to build a vp cooler.It should be out soon.I dont want to let the cat out of the bag.I will let him do that.He sells vp pumps and is thinking about doubling his warranty if you buy this at the time of a pump.He did share with me a way to build it with radio shack parts.We all can do this for just a few bucks.

• Owner

I've seen people mount trans coolers on the front of the truck and route the fuel thorugh the cooler and back to the pump but this has a design flaw. What do you do with -20*F to -50*F weather??? You design must include a option for northern states lincluding Alaska...

So to keep from trying to re-invent the wheel most just keep the fuel flowing through the VP44 and it seems to do fine. Like myself I'm at 117K miles and still going strong... :thumbup2:

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

The vp is cooled by fuel.Someone is going to build a vp cooler.It should be out soon.I dont want to let the cat out of the bag.I will let him do that.He sells vp pumps and is thinking about doubling his warranty if you buy this at the time of a pump.He did share with me a way to build it with radio shack parts.We all can do this for just a few bucks.

I'm curious...:neutral:

The pump before this died 100 times in 20 mile. The one on there now surges and lopes at idle. Have you heard my truck? Michael has it on the TDG site. I just dont know how it can go from one to the other. The only other thing is the ECM and I swaped it with another ecm and no change. All grounds are good, been over them three times. I even swaped turbo with my sons truck. Has new cam sensor, new inj., new inj. cross over tubes. Sent video to B D and they sent pump.

Ummm... What happen then with -20*F weather and DEF are running the A/C compressor? I bet the fuel will go to pour point quick... :lmao2: (Thick glob of bacon grease!) :stuned:

I kind of doubt the LP switch would allow the compressor to operate at those ambients?