• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

slipped my clutch.

my 08, G56, was slowing for traffic, down to about 35 mph in 3rd. then rolled into it and the clutch slipped, let off immediately, next stop i lowered my programmer to stock from 3.

That said. i'm thinking after 160K my clutch has had enough. i DO NOT want to dual disk. and i'd like to keep it as quiet as i can.

So who to call? do i keep the DM flywheel.? or switch to the other one.

Thoughts...

• 3 weeks later...

i'm waiting to do the clutch till after winter. thank you all for the input. i really do not want the rattle from a solid mass flywheel. but i might have to deal with it. and i want a single disk as well. this one has just north of 160K on it. i turned my tuner back to a "stock" power. so it should last till next spring. i'm broken right now with hand injury and couldn't work on it anyhow.

i've had a local trans shop told me to look into phoenixfriction. says he likes them and has had good luck with them holding up well.

thanks for the info. is your dad's a solid mass flywheel yet? how much noise does it make? any chance of a video?

Why the switch from the OFE to the OHD?

people tell me the dual mass flywheel is junk. but mine is fine and well at 160K. sooo... why replace it? is it that it will not hold up to the higher holding power of a new clutch? i've yet to see good reason to change.

• Staff

It's a SMF and it's quiet! 

The O-HD is a smoother and quieter product than the OFE. I like the way it drives better and the O-HD is rated to hold 425/900 and at my last dyno I was 415/850, but I have turned it down just a little matching the fuel to the airflow at 6K feet. 

Probably no chance of a video anytime soon as the truck isn't here. 

When dad removed his DMF with 90K on it the DMF was trashed even thou there were zero indications from the cab. It was actually rather impressive how bad it was for no indications. 

• Like 1

• Staff

I had a descent amount of gear rollover in my truck until UDC Pro came out. Now with modified pilot timing my rollover is almost gone! It goes to show how whacked some of the OEM tuning is. 

I don't want a DD either. I haven't driven one that is quiet enough for me to consider. 

• Staff

I didn't realize MB and Aisin were the same company :doh:

The valair DD I drove off and on for a year was nowhere near that quiet. It was fairly quiet when new but the rubber isolators didn't last long. It was installed about 4-5 years ago so I am not sure if they had changed anything when that video was made 3 years ago. 

• Staff

7 minutes ago, Killer223 said:

from what i can tell there is a strap now that holds the middle plate.

look for it here. that's what quiets them down. that middle plate no longer bounces back n forth.

That does look like a new addition. 

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Funny to hear about the ol' 50wt gear lube being used as well... :wink:

Yeah lots of experimenting with the G56. The 50wt doesn't get the best shifting reviews, but that seems pretty common with the experimental G56 fluids. 

so far the best shifting i have found is a toss up, from the amsoil MTG GL4, and the swepco 711. the 711 helps the hitch i have going into 3rd with out using the clutch, but it's not as easy to get. so right now I'm using the amsoil. I'm not good enough to tell a difference when cold. noise wise no discernible difference.

• Staff
2 minutes ago, Killer223 said:

so far the best shifting i have found is a toss up, from the amsoil MTG GL4, and the swepco 711. the 711 helps the hitch i have going into 3rd with out using the clutch, but it's not as easy to get. so right now I'm using the amsoil. I'm not good enough to tell a difference when cold. noise wise no discernible difference.

Those two seem to get some of the best reviews. 

• Owner
43 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

The 50wt doesn't get the best shifting reviews, but that seems pretty common with the experimental G56 fluids.

Because it's much thicker gear lube compared to ATF that comes factory filled in the G56. People commonly think that 50wt is going to be thinner like I did and found out it's thicker. This is why older Getrag transmission was loaded from the factory with would you believe 5w-30 engine oil. This isn't even a GL rated oil just plain ol' engine oil 5w-30. Strange after doing research on all the different types of lubes used in all the different series of transmissions. What strange are most people have strayed from factory specs and went their own way to resolving shifting and longevity issues. Strange to see even G56 factory filled with ATF+4 and called good. :think:

viscosity.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man