• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil change interval question

So this might be stupid on my part but after doing head gasket I still haven't changed my oil, put almost thousand miles on it since. I now have 3500ml on the oil. I don't believe water ever got in oil and I do have a bypass filter. So I'll be changing it this fall when I get around 5k on oil. It is still half clean on dipstick, I do know if I put it in a bucket it will look black. Smells ok too. Screwed up part is I got 20 gal of new oil and like 8 filters, I guess I'm wired like that. 

20 gal lol.

i have over 100 of travellers 15/40 and over 60 valvoline 15/40. and around 30 valvoline 5/40.

and roughly 35-38 of 5/30 supertech for my wifes car. i stocked up on the older CJ-4+ stuff when i had a chance. now i mix it about 50/50 with the newer CK stuff.

Why.. cuz i'm an odd one.

and as i said before, i change my oil's once a year. roughly 8-9K miles.

my next investment is a oil burner stove/furnace to heat the garage.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, dave110 said:

They make a little digital 12vhour meter for lawn & garden equipment that only costs like $25. I often thought of wiring one up in the truck but never got around to it.

But my question is TIME. 15 k miles takes me 3 years to accumulate. IDK, seems too long.

I may just do this. Do they give a recommendation on time too, or just mileage?

Just based on the number of miles on the current sample. I have every change tested, but only basic test which is $28.

Why is it not a good idea? the CK is "backwards" compatible... so the way i see it i'm adding some of the good ol oil to the newer not so good oil, in order to make a half way decent oil.

this is the oil i run

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/traveller-premium-all-fleet-15w-40-diesel-engine-oil-1-gal

no issues. we ran this in the tractors onthe ranch for years n years. the old massy still going strong.