• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner

Thanks or the info. I found a filter for $30 so i think i might try it. Now to come up with a heat shield.

I got a template for the a BHAF heatshield... Go to the BHAF link...

when i did mine 2 years ago. i got 1mpg...but i think it was because of my trucks tune. my fuel system was in bad shape. i didn't have my airdog and the fuel pressure would get low and i would have poor performance. any increase in air will be matched with fuel as long as the ecm's map is stock(assuming you have a 24valve). a tuner might help.

With a BHAF it will last longer up to 5 years.... The air flow is increased because of it size.

without a boost fooler, increased air would be detected by the MAP sensor. i believe that the ecm will see the added air and use that reading to determine fueling(ie more fuel). i would think that more fuel will not give better milage on a stock ecm tune. i do not know this for a fact, but merely an observation. correct me if i'm wrong.

• Owner

what do you think of Quadzilla Milage Max? says 8-12% increase in mpg!

The chip market is a mixed bag really... There is a lot of claims but hard to prove any of them... But like myself using the Edge Comp and running it wide open and keeping the boost low and the pyro low I'm turning 21-22 avg MPG and 25 max MPG.

Thanks for the info. I try it out. Did you use 1/4 alum?

Like mild 1/8" inch aluminum... Like a old road sign would work awesome...:lmao:

without a boost fooler, increased air would be detected by the MAP sensor.

This is true... The increased boost pressure above 20 PSI will cause the engine to defuel and trip a error code.

i believe that the ecm will see the added air and use that reading to determine fueling(ie more fuel).

Yes... The amount of fuel is deterimned by how much boost is present. More boost more fuel. But if you looking for MPG's you want the reverse lower boost...

i would think that more fuel will not give better milage on a stock ecm tune. i do not know this for a fact, but merely an observation. correct me if i'm wrong.

It's the advanced timing...:popcorn:

This is true... The increased boost pressure above 20 PSI will cause the engine to defuel and trip a error code.

below 20 psi, if you increase the air flow at a given RPM, i believe the ecm is going to match that air with fuel

It's the advanced timing...

i agree 100% but your not going to see any extra timing on a stock ecm tune, so i BHAF usually doesn't increase mileage

• 3 weeks later...
  • Owner

Either pop the little thumb nuts out of the stock air box... Or build a heatshield and use 6 nuts... 3 below the plate to raise it up slightly and 3 on top to tighten it up. This way the studs are nearly flush with the heatshield. But still cover your A/C line with a piece of hose to protect it from rubbing...

Good info on the traditional paper BHAF. I am running an AMSOIL Nanofiber 4510. It is also a dry filter and costs about the same as a BHAF. I can also clean it with compressed air. I still have my old BHAF that I used to run, and it was a great filter. I'd like to see comparative CFM testing side by side with the Nanofiber and the traditional BHAF. Based on many customer reports, the Nanos have yielded more turbo whistle, lower EGTs, and quicker "seat of the pants" spool up. Of course, the overall point to all this that I think most diesel guys will agree to is that the key to good air filtration on diesels is to run a dry filter. Oiled filters start to cause problems in the real world under the CFM demand stress of these engines. -Chuck

this is one of those things i am still debating with before I purchase either nanofiber or bhaf

The Outerware prefilter protective filter cover really make these filters last a lot longer due to how they catch a lot of material that would otherwise become embedded in the paper filter. When the engine gets shut off, the material just falls away from the prefilter cover. They are kinda like a hair net but much more finer in mesh.