• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Good info on the traditional paper BHAF. I am running an AMSOIL Nanofiber 4510. It is also a dry filter and costs about the same as a BHAF. I can also clean it with compressed air. I still have my old BHAF that I used to run, and it was a great filter. I'd like to see comparative CFM testing side by side with the Nanofiber and the traditional BHAF. Based on many customer reports, the Nanos have yielded more turbo whistle, lower EGTs, and quicker "seat of the pants" spool up. Of course, the overall point to all this that I think most diesel guys will agree to is that the key to good air filtration on diesels is to run a dry filter. Oiled filters start to cause problems in the real world under the CFM demand stress of these engines. -Chuck

I've been running the Amsoil Nanofiber EaAU4095 with the EaPF12 pre filter on mine for approx 11months. Have been very happy with it. This filter has the hole for the filterminder in it as well.

Good info on the traditional paper BHAF. I am running an AMSOIL Nanofiber 4510. It is also a dry filter and costs about the same as a BHAF. I can also clean it with compressed air. I still have my old BHAF that I used to run, and it was a great filter. I'd like to see comparative CFM testing side by side with the Nanofiber and the traditional BHAF. Based on many customer reports, the Nanos have yielded more turbo whistle, lower EGTs, and quicker "seat of the pants" spool up. Of course, the overall point to all this that I think most diesel guys will agree to is that the key to good air filtration on diesels is to run a dry filter. Oiled filters start to cause problems in the real world under the CFM demand stress of these engines. -Chuck

I am with you Chuck on the nanofiber technology I have one with the prefilter it breathes very well IMO. I had the oiled type and it fell apart went with the EAAU4091. Bill

• 1 month later...

I ordered my BHAF and outerwear from Vulcan last week and its supposed to show up tomorrow. My question is how exactly is the BHAF mounted? Have you guys mounted the filter down with anything or do you just have it sitting there under the hood? Just curious and I have been looking around at a few different sites and couldn't really find an answer as to exactly how the BHAF is mounted. Can't wait to ditch my K&N drop in that was in the truck when I bought it for my BHAF tomorrow!

I mounted a turbo heat shield in place of the OEM air filter box and the BHAF lays on the heat shield. I use a bungee cord to hold the BHAF in place. Use a bungee cord long enough to just hold the BHAF in place and not too much tension as their is not much else but the A/C lines and the OEM fender air inlet to hook the bungee too. I have had mine mounted like this for about 2 years. Works great.

• Like 1

I ordered my BHAF and outerwear from Vulcan last week and its supposed to show up tomorrow. My question is how exactly is the BHAF mounted?

Ok - afraid to say - but I have mine sitting on a piece of heavy cardboard over the bolts that held the orginal OEM filter in place, with a snug bungy cord over the front of it where its clamped to the airintake tube going to turbo, same as LiveOak.

Heatshield is best way as at least it offers some protection but also the bit I like best you can mount it properly on those bolts so its a firm connection and you don't damage the filter. I am going to do mine - I just need to get my brother to weld me one off the templates (you can download from this website).

I cut back the fire-blanket on the hood just enough in the corner so it couldn't fall and restrict the air flow of the filter. Seemed to work better for me - but mine is a little raggedy - I was concerned it had enough flex in it that it would sit on top of the filter - this way I know it isn't :)

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 AM ----------

Here's the heatshield download templates and some pics

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/personal/2002/bhaf/bhaf.htm

I got to build one for my 2001 out of Mikes templates check it out let me know what you think.

My heat shield is identical to the heat shield you show. It is made of diamond plate aluminum and works great. Looks great too!
  • Like 1

Get a piece of old rubber hose split it down theside and put it over the freon line to protect it from rubbing from the BHAF...

OK will do. Question how do you adapt the filter minder ? and how do you take it off the box? Thanks for the tip !

Thanks for the replies. I wanted to get mine in once I got it yesterday and and WHAT a difference! Can definitely tell a difference in turbo spool up and just from today I think I'll see a mileage increase as well. A MAJOR improvement over the drop in K&N in the stock airbox. I wanted to get it in and didn't have the time yet to make up a heat shield. As backwoods as it sounds I covered the air box studs with some cardboard and duct tape. I set the filter in and came up with this little tab to zip tie the filter in place mainly just to keep it away from the hot exhuast and cause a fire.post-10028-138698165254_thumb.jpg

post-10028-138698165267_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...