• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

High idle kills truck. White smoke in 1st gear.

Redroan

I have two issues with my quadzilla v2 right now 

the first is as soon as high idle turns on it kills my truck and I have to un plug the batteries to get the ecm to trigger the lift pump. The ecm only will put out 4 volts after the truck dies. But will run fine for days if I don't use high idle. My tuck is bassicly bone stock with a airdog 150. If truck is completely warm high idle will work. also no check engine light. 

Second issue is in first gear the truck will sound like it's missing and spit White smoke. This only happens in first gear leaving from a stop at any power level over 2. It doesn't happen if im on sock level or if Ieave in 2nd gear.

I know for sure that if you have a factory high idle enabled (or programmed into the ECU with a programmer like Smarty) that the truck will die if you run our high idle. Especially if you run the 3-cylinder high-idle. For some reason the Quad and the ECU fight and can vapor lock the truck where you have to crack the lines to get it to start again. 

This site does have a good test to see if you have factory high idle enabled. If you don't then there is something else going on. 

For the 2nd issue, we will need to figure out what your tune is and see where potential issues are. Can you send us your tune parameters? 

-Thanks again, 

I doubt I have a stock high idle as I ran it for year with the v1 adr with out any issues but I will check. And as for the tune I'm useing the stock one that you upload from this site when I flashed my adr. But I can send them to you once my laptop charges. Also it's not vapor locked as soon a I reset the ecm and and air dog comes on the truck fires right up. 

Edited by Redroan

your high idle issue sounds exactly like hwa thappens if you have factory high idle and you try to use the quad high idle.  I would test to see if you have factory high idle using this article

The ecm gets unhappy and what you get is the ecm stops sending updates across the bus.  Ran into this issue myself way back when.  

for your truck I would recommend this tune.   it should have more timing which will help your white smoke issue.

• Thanks 1

The wait to start light does come on when cold. The relays for the grid heater is bad and have a new one comming but I doubt that's related. I will check the alt today and get Back. I am almost positive there is not a stock High idle. But i will check that as well. I just weird as soo as I go to v2 this issue arises. 

So I didn't get around to testing the high idle because I went hunting. But on on the way I noticed a bigger issue. I think your right about the alt. My volt meter was jumping for the first few miles then it smoothed out. Quadzilla would not connect during that time and ever time it bounced below 14 quad with lose connection. So I check the alt as soon as I got home and I'm getting around 30v ac at the alt. Question is how bad is this for my truck. Can I drive it to the parts store tomorrow or should i just park it And get a ride. Thanks for the advice you really helped me catch this early on. Just wish I asked sooner.