• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Light Bar Battery Source

I am adding a 20" light bar to my 01. I will be making a bracket to add it under my rear hitch, somewhat hidden as much as possible as it is a slim lightbar. Can I run the harness to my non main battery without ill effects? I will be running an inline fuse as well as a relay. My goal is to flip the switch on while backing up to increase my visibility while backing as my reverse lights are not bright at all. Would it work best running from my main battery?

20 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

You might look at my mod... Two 100 watt aircraft landing lights. 

DSCF0561.JPG.e7519a8fa4cd6eedc65b7973aa1

Then I tapped in the reverse switch so that light are automatically on with reverse or manual on a switch.

Thanks Michael. I like that setup. I have already ordered the lightbar, however, if that does not workout, I will for sure copy your setup. Would you advise against running the lights from the secondary battery?

Edited by Red Rambler

• Owner
Just now, Red Rambler said:

Would you advise against running the lights from the secondary battery?

I wouldn't make a run all the way to the front again for just battery power being there is a 10 AWG line already back there for the trailer power. It's got a 40 AMP fuse already too. So my reverse light are on a relay tucked in the left side tail light. Powered by the trailer power feed. Triggered by the reverse light lead. Now your wiring is much simpler and less voltage loss from making a long run.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I wouldn't make a run all the way to the front again for just battery power being there is a 10 AWG line already back there for the trailer power. It's got a 40 AMP fuse already too. So my reverse light are on a relay tucked in the left side tail light. Powered by the trailer power feed. Triggered by the reverse light lead. Now your wiring is much simpler and less voltage loss from making a long run.

Awesome, did not even think about that. I was concerned in voltage drop with that long of a run. Should be much more simple with that bit of info, thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2017 at 10:09 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Any idea what color the 10 AWG wire is? 

Edit: red/pink. I found it. 

Edited by Red Rambler

4 hours ago, Red Rambler said:

Any idea what color the 10 AWG wire is? 

Edit: red/pink. I found it. 

10 AWG? So is one of the trailer plug wires larger gauge than the others wires?

08-33-93f1.gif

Edited by GSP7

1 hour ago, GSP7 said:

10 AWG? So is one of the trailer plug wires larger gauge than the others wires?

08-33-93f1.gif

The wire I tapped into was more like 12 AWG. However it had 12 volts, so I know it was the correct wire. None of the wires that ran to the plug were this same wire. It appeared the main 12 was tied into the wires up stream. 

So Mike, 

Are you running your two 100watt back up lights mounted on your rear axle off that red/org B+ wire from the trailer electric plug?

Id think you would be running a heavier gauge wire direct from your battery ?

• Owner
1 minute ago, GSP7 said:

So Mike, 

Are you running your two 100watt back up lights mounted on your rear axle off that red/org B+ wire from the trailer electric plug?

Why? You've already got a 40 Amp circuit right there at the rear bumper. I used a relay to trigger the power to the lights. My relay is hidden in the driver side tail light area to keep the relay dry.

6 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Why? You've already got a 40 Amp circuit right there at the rear bumper. I used a relay to trigger the power to the lights. My relay is hidden in the driver side tail light area to keep the relay dry.

This is how I did mine following Mike's advice.

Get a weatherproof relay as well.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=4d11e5b7ded08803918zcm6BFHL._SY355_.jpg

Edited by Red Rambler

8 minutes ago, GSP7 said:

So Mike, 

So the answer is Yes?

• Owner
12 minutes ago, GSP7 said:

So Mike, 

3 minutes ago, GSP7 said:

So the answer is Yes?

Yes...