Jump to content
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

    We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

Sign in to follow this  
Red Rambler

Light Bar Battery Source

Recommended Posts

I am adding a 20" light bar to my 01. I will be making a bracket to add it under my rear hitch, somewhat hidden as much as possible as it is a slim lightbar. Can I run the harness to my non main battery without ill effects? I will be running an inline fuse as well as a relay. My goal is to flip the switch on while backing up to increase my visibility while backing as my reverse lights are not bright at all. Would it work best running from my main battery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

You might look at my mod... Two 100 watt aircraft landing lights. 

 

DSCF0561.JPG.e7519a8fa4cd6eedc65b7973aa1

 

Then I tapped in the reverse switch so that light are automatically on with reverse or manual on a switch.

 

 

Thanks Michael. I like that setup. I have already ordered the lightbar, however, if that does not workout, I will for sure copy your setup. Would you advise against running the lights from the secondary battery?

Edited by Red Rambler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Red Rambler said:

Would you advise against running the lights from the secondary battery?

 

 

I wouldn't make a run all the way to the front again for just battery power being there is a 10 AWG line already back there for the trailer power. It's got a 40 AMP fuse already too. So my reverse light are on a relay tucked in the left side tail light. Powered by the trailer power feed. Triggered by the reverse light lead. Now your wiring is much simpler and less voltage loss from making a long run.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

 

I wouldn't make a run all the way to the front again for just battery power being there is a 10 AWG line already back there for the trailer power. It's got a 40 AMP fuse already too. So my reverse light are on a relay tucked in the left side tail light. Powered by the trailer power feed. Triggered by the reverse light lead. Now your wiring is much simpler and less voltage loss from making a long run.

 

Awesome, did not even think about that. I was concerned in voltage drop with that long of a run. Should be much more simple with that bit of info, thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just in case, when I put my air compressor in and extra lights for backing up or just to see behind me if I'm in the woods, I ran a piece of pex inside driver side frame as conduit and shoved whatever wires I needed in there, with few extra for who knows what. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a bad idea... I would measure out the PEX and stuff 14/4 trailer wire in the PEX first then run it through the frame with the bed off. Of course do this on the drivers side away from the hot exhaust. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2017 at 10:09 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

 

I wouldn't make a run all the way to the front again for just battery power being there is a 10 AWG line already back there for the trailer power. It's got a 40 AMP fuse already too. So my reverse light are on a relay tucked in the left side tail light. Powered by the trailer power feed. Triggered by the reverse light lead. Now your wiring is much simpler and less voltage loss from making a long run.

Any idea what color the 10 AWG wire is? 

 

Edit: red/pink. I found it. 

Edited by Red Rambler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Red Rambler said:

Any idea what color the 10 AWG wire is? 

 

Edit: red/pink. I found it. 

 

 

10 AWG? So is one of the trailer plug wires larger gauge than the others wires?

 

08-33-93f1.gif

 

 

 

 

.

 

.

 

Edited by GSP7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GSP7 said:

 

 

10 AWG? So is one of the trailer plug wires larger gauge than the others wires?

 

08-33-93f1.gif

 

 

 

 

.

 

.

 

The wire I tapped into was more like 12 AWG. However it had 12 volts, so I know it was the correct wire. None of the wires that ran to the plug were this same wire. It appeared the main 12 was tied into the wires up stream. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Mike, 

Are you running your two 100watt back up lights mounted on your rear axle off that red/org B+ wire from the trailer electric plug?

 

Id think you would be running a heavier gauge wire direct from your battery ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GSP7 said:

So Mike, 

Are you running your two 100watt back up lights mounted on your rear axle off that red/org B+ wire from the trailer electric plug?

 

Id think you would be running a heavier gauge wire direct from your battery ?

 

Why? You've already got a 40 Amp circuit right there at the rear bumper. I used a relay to trigger the power to the lights. My relay is hidden in the driver side tail light area to keep the relay dry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

 

Why? You've already got a 40 Amp circuit right there at the rear bumper. I used a relay to trigger the power to the lights. My relay is hidden in the driver side tail light area to keep the relay dry.

This is how I did mine following Mike's advice.

Get a weatherproof relay as well.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=4d11e5b7ded08803918zcm6BFHL._SY355_.jpg

Edited by Red Rambler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GSP7 said:

So Mike, 

Are you running your two 100watt back up lights mounted on your rear axle off that red/org B+ wire from the trailer electric plug?

 

 

 

So the answer is Yes?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, GSP7 said:

So Mike, 

Are you running your two 100watt back up lights mounted on your rear axle off that red/org B+ wire from the trailer electric plug?

 

Id think you would be running a heavier gauge wire direct from your battery ?

 

3 minutes ago, GSP7 said:

So the answer is Yes?

 

 

Yes...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where did you buy your 40amp water proof relay ?

 

Walmart? Specialty Electronics store?

 

 

Edited by GSP7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Red Rambler

 

I was digging in my trailer hitch plug wires

 

I see the red/org is a heavy gauge...Found the purple/bll also

 

There is a large gauge light blue... it is trailer brake

 

So I think I have it figured out for my back up light. Now i just have to decide on a light.

 

I think Im just going to get a 35w or 55w holagen , like a  4 1/2 Hella or small sealed beam instead of the Led stuff.

 

I got a feeling the inexpensive led small 36 watt light bars etc are only going to last a year or two and burn out or rot away from the elements and water

 

I also have a second trailer plug the original owner installed inside the bed for a  Cab over camper or fifth wheel plug in. They tapped into all the bumper plug wires but they used completely different wire colors(stupid idiots)

Like the B+ Red/Org they hooked a black wire

Grn/brn has a large guage red wire tapped into it,,,

Blk/org has a green wire tap

Blk has a white wire tap

Edited by GSP7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, GSP7 said:

Thanks Red Rambler

 

I was digging in my trailer hitch plug wires

 

I see the red/org is a heavy gauge...Found the purple/bll also

 

There is a large gauge light blue... it is trailer brake

 

So I think I have it figured out for my back up light. Now i just have to decide on a light.

 

I think Im just going to get a 35w or 55w holagen , like a  4 1/2 Hella or small sealed beam instead of the Led stuff.

 

I got a feeling the inexpensive led small 36 watt light bars etc are only going to last a year or two and burn out or rot away from the elements and water

 

I also have a second trailer plug the original owner installed inside the bed for a  Cab over camper or fifth wheel plug in. They tapped into all the bumper plug wires but they used completely different wire colors(stupid idiots)

Like the B+ Red/Org they hooked a black wire

Grn/brn has a large guage red wire tapped into it,,,

Blk/org has a green wire tap

Blk has a white wire tap

Glad you got that figured out and I concur with you on the light bars. My expectations are a year, year and a 1/2 max, given the harsh conditions they must live in. I have attempted to conceal mine as much as possible. Below is the exact light I purchased for $29. If it lasts 1.5 year I would would be happy.

 

s-l500.jpg

Edited by Red Rambler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My old 81 chevy K20 4x4 has a old metel housing 4 1/2", 35 watt sealed beam back up light tucked back up under the rear bumper. 

Its been on the truck 30 years and the light its self is probably from '60s

Still works great , and I can get a new bulb or it if needed

 

I just ran across this vid

 

Inexpensive vs mucho $$ LED

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...