• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Shop Tricks and Kicks

JAG1

• Staff

A couple things I've learned.

Before working on truck in winter plug in the block heater for a couple hours since its much easier to work over a warm engine than a cold engine.

If your having trouble finding an air leak to the suction side of your fuel system use a shop vac to pump no more than a few pounds of pressurized air into the tank and then see if you find any weeping fuel in the lines or primary filter. A shop vac hose turned backward to blow air out will fit better to the fill neck than trying to stuff a rag around an air hose that may over pressurize. This should help you prime a fuel system as well.

• Like 3

• Owner

I love the old block heater trick too. Too bad my cord is shot. 

That is a neat idea using the shop vacuum for blowing pressure in the fuel tank. Never thought of that idea. 

So I'll contribute by saying for those guys attempting to put the VP44 nuts back on between the block and the VP44. simple trick is wrap a small piece of electrical tape around the nut and this will make the nut fit snug on the socket. This works best with a 6 side socket. Now you can route the extension and socket in without dropping the nut.

• Like 1

Re-doing my fuel line I kept messing up the push lock fitting when trying to remove the old hose.  Neighbor who is long time mechanic showed me how he carefully removes the hose by melting it with the soldering gun.  Using the tip, just slide it up melting the hose toward the plastic ring.  Stop before melting the plastic ring.  If old hose doesn’t fall off, use pliers and peel to separate.  (Probably old hat but 1st I’ve seen it)

• Like 1