• Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...

• Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
    • Reduced Advertisements displayed to you.

Well I’m thinking about doin a turbo swap. I would like to have around 400 450 hp. I will be purchasing a qaud v2 before too long. I’m thinking I will do injectors too. What size would you do with the HE351 and v2? And now for the turbo... do I want the variable geometry or the cw model? I would also like an exhaust brake which I believe is built into these turbos? Has anyone else done this swap? What was your experience? Anyone please chip in with questions comments or concerns. 

Mods should be in signature. Fass 150 is alsonin the books before long! 

And just to clarify the truck is running well now. No issues besides the fact it snowed 6 inches yesterday and I hit the ditch! Took out the neighbors mailbox with deer guard! :mad: Thanks guys!!

the cw doesnt have an eb, the ve does.  You need a standalone contoller for the ve to work.  

for 400 hp towing 7 x .010 for the cw alittle bigger for ve ask the exhaust side can control upper end fueling better.   

For you I would do a cw, I dont think the complexity of the ve install/controll  is a good thing for you.  

3 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

the cw doesnt have an eb, the ve does.  You need a standalone contoller for the ve to work.  

for 400 hp towing 7 x .010 for the cw alittle bigger for ve ask the exhaust side can control upper end fueling better.   

For you I would do a cw, I dont think the complexity of the ve install/controll  is a good thing for you.  

Is the controller for the brake? What is involved in the controller? 

call @dieselautopower

However I would guess if you can't piece it together yourself you are better off getting a drop in turbo.  the cost of buying a kit will likely get you really close to the cost of an sxe 

Edited by Me78569

If you dont build your own charge pipe, or go cheap wih a 45* bend to adapt the stock to work.  

Stainless diesel offers this http://www.stainlessdiesel.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=176  I used that for my VE swap.  DAP sells a silicon piece that you can use, 

Or you can build your own.

1 minute ago, Me78569 said:

If you dont build your own charge pipe, or go cheap wih a 45* bend to adapt the stock to work.  

Stainless diesel offers this http://www.stainlessdiesel.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=176  I used that for my VE swap.  DAP sells a silicon piece that you can use, 

Or you can build your own.

I’m not a pro fabricator so I’ll prob buy that one. What else do I need to know? 

Are you looking for a tow tune at 400-450 or a street tune at 400-450 and 350-375 for towing?

The reason I ask is the HE351CW is about a 350-375 rwhp turbo for towing at altitude and reasonable EGTs. 

The VE turbine wheel is larger and a common mod to the CW. It will spool better, reduce drive pressure, flow more, and sound better too :-)

My dad has the VE turbine wheel in his CW on his 06. I have him running about a 350-375 rwhp tune and it does awesome. It's efficient, cool running, and doesn't have EGT issues until WOT above 6-7K feet in the summer. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 1