• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Replace '98 24v w/ '98 12v?

I am considering buying a complete 1998 12v drivetrain consisting of:

[*]Engine w 100k

[*] Auto trans w 12k on Jasper rebuild (w/ upgrades, but not sure what they are)

[*] X-fer case w/ 100k

[*] 3:55 axles with 100k

[*] Front drive shaft

Been sitting indoors since 2003. However, I can buy the whole deal for $2500...maybe less. I would then swap the 12v and Jasper trans into my '98 QCSB and sell my 24v (w/ 177k), good auto trans and 100k axles after the swap. I could give people good deals on everything, I think, and still get an engine/trans with low miles in my truck in for just a few dollars.

I could not do the swap myself. Just don't have the equipment anymore...or the patience. So, I'd have to pay a shop to do it...

Questions:

Is this an easy swap.--'98 24v for a '98 12v?

What's the value on my 24v (177k) and trans?

What's the value of the 100k 3:55 axles? (My truck already has 3:55s.) Or should I swap them into my truck, too?

What's a fair price to pay a shop to do the swap?

Is this a stupid idea?

Thanks,

bb

Sounds to be the easiest swap I've ever heard of. 1998 trucks all had exactly the same stuff. I am not sure about the overheard MPG readout and all that. I don't think they will show anything but outdoor temp after the swap, if you have the digital overhead at all. Get 12V ECM and I think everything else will bolt right up. As for it being a stupid idea, you would just have to say why your dumping the 24v.. Since your in california I take it, you don't see snow very often (or freezing temps) so I don't really see any downfalls either way you go. The only reason 12v's fall short in my book is in winter they don't have an idle control other than the set screw. So if it gets cold and the oil gets thick, the engine will turn 150 or so RPM less, and if it gets down to 0F it will just stall unless you step on the pedal a little. The difference is, you have an automatic. You can get away with turning the idle up to maybe 800RPM so you never have it drop too low to stall. Mine being a manual I sometimes don't want to be jarred when letting off in 1st. So I say your good either way. Why are you dumping the 24v though? I am no good at valuing things so wait for someone else on that deal..

if you have the digital overhead at all. As for it being a stupid idea, you would just have to say why your dumping the 24v... So I say your good either way. Why are you dumping the 24v though?

I have temp and compass ion the overhead. No MPG or anything. I keep hearing horror stories about the lift pump and VP. So, I am over-reacting to that, I guess. Doesn't $2500 seem like a good deal for the entire 12v powertrain? bb

Hmm, I can't really say one way or another. I mean you could swap it but I am betting it would cost more than just buying the aftermarket lift pump and things for the 24V. But then again I don't want to be the one you come after if your VP44 still goes out and I ruined your chance of getting a 12V :lol: So you will just have to decide for yourself. I'm sure others will come on to convince you not to do it but I personally really don't see any loss either way except for a bit more money doing the swap. Just remember that you cannot chip a 12V, you cannot hook a scangauge up to a 12V, and well just everything you have to do manually. There are only like 15 codes for the entire engine to pick from when something goes wrong, so they are basically no help at all. When something goes wrong, you have to fix it using old school methods (there won't be a code telling you the lift pump or injection pump or anything went out). If your fine with that, I don't see how you could go wrong however you decide.

• Owner

I have temp and compass ion the overhead. No MPG or anything. I keep hearing horror stories about the lift pump and VP. So, I am over-reacting to that, I guess. Doesn't $2500 seem like a good deal for the entire 12v powertrain? bb

Hmmm... Maybe you need to have a nice chat with CajFlynn... Hes one of our 24V record breakers... He's got 825K miles PLUS and running a VP44... Then myself I'm also got a VP44 pump heading for 118K miles on the pump 168K on the truck... As for the price on the drivetrain thats cheap really... (Engine, trans and transer case)... The biggest problem I see is the electronics and get things to work with it... :rolleyes: Might be cheaper to do a P-pump conversion... :shrug:

$2500 seems like a pretty damn good deal.Similar to what ISX said tho - unless there's a reason to do it - your probably gonna spend a similar amount having a shop do the conversion.And what did you gain ??For $5k (I know you get to resell your parts which may bring it down to to 3k) - you could get$1000 -> New VP44 $2700 -> New BUILT Tranny (when yours goes) including new VB and TC$1300 -> for whatever else you may need along the way - new transfer case ? Tires ? Mods ? AS long as there's nothing wrong with your truck engine/transfer case , bearings whatever - if you had to replace the vp44 and tranny - I would think you would see another 150,000 miles without too much issue :):shrug:

And what did you gain ?? :shrug:

My thinking was a more reliable drivetrain with fewer miles. But you guys have me convinced that it's a foolhardy proposition. I am still considering buying and re-selling the parts (like I really have the time and space to do that)... bb

Ha - yeah I actually thought the sameYou might be able to get the parts - sell - and make $1000then use that $1000k with the other $3k to spend on your 24v as required :) Think engine normally around $1500 if all fine secondhandTranny probably around $1000 if you can prove all ok and low miles and built with TC + VB - new rebuilt for $2700Transfer Case - if its a HD one - maybe $500 - I think you can buy rebuilt $11003.55 axles and front drive shaft - no idea ........... but should put you $1000k in the clear if you can sell it all :) Those are just guesses on what I have seen ......... but yeah - some extra $$ for your 24V when required :):hyper:

• Owner

Vp's are junk........................... I will buy it and give you 200.to boot

Yeah i knew Ol' JL Weldind would repond as such... :lmao2: Some have relly good luck and other well have seen the dirty end on the stick on too many times... I was talking to gent last night and found out he traded in a 2002 Dodge truck not to long ago that had over 500K miles with the orignal fuel system, lift pump, plumbing, and VP44 never did anything to it... :stuned: (Really rare!)