• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

why billet torque converter

@Dynamic will take us all to school on this, but from what I understand, a torque converter with a non-billet cover can tend to balloon with the extra oil pressure. A little bit of ballooning I think is normal, which is why we have a flex plate and not a solid flywheel. However when it becomes excessive, bad things happen. A billet cover helps combat this. There's probably more benefit than that however; that's just one thing I read a while back.

Edit:

Here's a video that shows ballooning. However I was wrong, it's the back plate, not the front cover.

Edited by kzimmer

Okay I understand that after a certain amount of rotational speed/force things will distort. At what point does it become an issue for us especially with the low rotational speed of a Diesel engine? Is it the force applied on it or is it the speed at which it’s spinning or is it increased line pressures? Obviously engineers feel that a billet converter is not necessary in an engines stock form.. 

is a billet TC a sales gimmick up until a certain point and does anyone know what that point is? 

I’d imagine it’s just because of the torque these engines can put out, not so much the speed at which it’s happening. That’s why Dynamic only uses triple disk converters in his builds. 

Gotta remember that engineers aren’t always engineering for the best application for vehicles, more like, what’ll get the job done and last long enough to where we won’t have to pay for it.

• Like 1