• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Clutch or Transmission?

Guys I got a problem with the truck that I sold to my brother, a while back about three months ago I change the clutch on it and also replaced the master and slave cyilinder. It was my first clutch job so you guys helped alot thanks to this site , but my brother just called me and he is having problems with the truck . He seems to not been able to shift gears ,he said that the only way the truck can move is if the truck is turned off and he puts it on second gear ,but then the truck will not shift to any other gear . I cant test drive it my self cuase I am still out of town, so wanted to ask if you have any idea of what could it be ? He took it to a shop and was told it was the clutch but he didnt want to leave there till he talked to me .Thanks for all the advice.

That is EXACTLY what mine did when my clutch was screwed up and wasn't disengaging fully. I don't know what it is about 2nd gear that makes it go in but that's the only gear mine would go in too. You might start out bleeding the master and slave because guesswho said that worked for him, if that doesn't work, you will have to bite the bullet and take the trans out to inspect what is going on with the clutch. I know Mike's spring pack completely broke out of the clutch. Nevertheless, the root of your problem lies in the clutch not disengaging fully, even when it's to the floor the pressure plate isn't getting enough tension released on it so the clutch spins keeping you from going into gear from a stop. The engine RPM is synchronized with the back end of the trans so that the RPM's are matched and the gears mesh nicely, when stopped, it is impossible for the synchros to match 1000rpm to 0rpm, which is why you have to turn the thing off to regain synchronous speeds.

• Like 1