• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

TIRES - Sizes, brands, etc. - What do you run?

I've had good luck with Cooper tires. I'm running the Cooper Discoverer AT3's now, and ran the Discoverer ATR's before that on my '04.5. Stock size…….LT265/70 17E.IIRC, I read a post here that said Cooper was recently sold though. Don't know how that'll affect tire quality in the future.

Last set of tires I ran BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO's in 295/75R-16. They were quiet, lasted a LONG time, great off road and on road. I wanted a bigger tire foot print for off road so I moved up to the 315/75R-16 in the same tire. The 295's rubbed the lower track arm ever so slightly on full turn but fit well otherwise. The 315's definitely rub a good bit on full turns but otherwise have been VERY good tires. Excellent off road tires as well. :thumbup2:

• 2 weeks later...

ive been running 285/75/16 kelly safari TSR's for a long time now. last set went about 45k and i actually replaced yesterday (still had 7/32 tread left, 18/32 new!) 

love them, very quiet, rides smooth, aggressive all-terrain, have not been stuck yet. wears very nicely with routine balance/rotations. 

how many of you "criss-cross" rotate instead of front to back?

• Owner

Still running the 235/85 R16 on both trucks and having zero issues. On rotation I typically just do front to rear. The only time I criss-crossed was if I was wearing rather strangely on the edges then I try criss-crossing to see if it corrects the issue. But I'll warn you most times you criss cross you'll notice the control and ride suffer till the tire wear back in again.

I just looked at tirerack.  There is 4# difference per tire going from 235/75/16 to 267/75/16.  I'm running 4.10s & would like to get engine rpms down on the interstate.  There isn't much difference in tire circumference (~32") so engine speed won't be effected much.  The main difference is price out the door.

Discount Tire price matches & charges $30 for install & lifetime balance.  Pay 10% sales tax but don't pay shipping.  It looks like ~$150 total purchase price savings to buy small and whatever 16# lighter total for all 4 tires would be.  Any idea on what 16# total will increase mileage?

There is a difference of near 5.5" in the diameter of the 265 versus the 235. The 265 will reduce your rpm and should help with mileage, how much I dont know. Others are better versed in this than I. The bigger around the tire the lower your rpm's will be.

I currently have the Cooper ST Maxx in 285/75-16 flavor and have done quite well after 12,000 miles. I wanted something that could handle offroad adventures, but still ride well. I read reviews on everything. The Duratracs are well liked as were the cooper AT3, but not much on the Maxx. I ended up going against my nature and took a bit of a gamble on the slightly more aggressive ST Maxx as I figured I'd rather take a mpg hit than get stuck somewhere super remote. The Michelin LTX that were on it before were down right scary on loose gravel roads. On the highway the Coopers are quite good with very acceptable noise. On their first road trip to Yellowstone (4,000 mi) I averaged 20.3 mpg fully loaded with a couple hundred miles of offroad meandering mixed in. They are a good compromise between an AT and MT tire.

• 3 weeks later...