• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel in oil after injector install

I swapped my stock injectors for a set of DAP 7x.013's last week. Checked the oil level before I started it up for the first time and it was midway between the lines on the dipstick. I ran the truck for a day and checked the oil again and it was about 3/8" above the top line. So I'm definitely getting fuel in the oil. I pulled the valve cover and ran it and saw nothing. It was a bit tough to get down to each injector and inspect closely because of the fan blowing in my eyes, but from out of the fan wash area, I couldn't see a thing leaking. I never had fuel in the oil before this, so it was definitely something related to the injector swap. Bad injector? Do I need to get closer and inspect each injector while its running, or would a fuel leak be noticeable right away?

Also, a little more info:

No matter how much I tried, I couldn't tune out a bit of a lope/surge when I lightly apply the throttle. Even in neutral. I backed the timing way down and fuel was as low as 68% at 1psi with the quad and still had that surge happening. That could very well just be that I'm a rookie with this quad, but I wonder if it could indicate an injector that's leaking or stuck and leaking fuel past the rings? When I started it just now after sitting for the past 4 days, it cranked for about 3-4 times longer than usual and when it fired up it billowed a cloud of white and then black smoke. 

All copper washers came off with the old injectors. I didn't realize that the washers weren't held on by anything on the new injectors, and mid way through the install, a couple did fall down in the bore. I just lined them up with the hole and dropped the injector in on top of them. Could this be an issue? They don't have to face a certain way do they? 

Even though from my research, I don't believe any of this can cause fuel in your oil, I did install the injectors and made sure they seated, then installed/seated the connector tubes, then the lines (hand tight), and then tighten down the injectors to 8 ft lbs. Not sure if that was the right procedure, but I don't have any external fuel leaks. From what I can tell, there's only 3 ways you can have fuel in your oil related to injectors, o ring leak, cracked body, or too much fuel getting past your rings. 

Edited by fogged306

It doesn't lope at idle, it idles just as smooth as it always has. It only lopes with light throttle applied. I probably should've made that a little more clear.

I did just remember something I may have botched. when I took the injector hold downs off, I loosened the bolt on the right side of the injector a couple turns before I pulled the left one off completely. I didn't realize you were supposed to leave that one alone and just undo the left bolt. When I was putting the hold downs back on, I just tightened each side evenly and went back and forth a couple ft lbs at a time until they both hit 8 ft lbs. That way I wasn't tightening one down too far and then tightening the other to 8 ft lbs and possibly putting the hold down on crooked. But that could've happened anyway?

This happened to me about 7 years ago on the oe injectors. I used it as an excuse to put in some RV275 s. Never tried to find out what started leaking and the injectors fixed ythe leak. After install I had some leaks from poorly sealed connector tubes. I torqued the holds downs before tightening the fuel lines. Those leaks showed up on the head at the lines. I am thinking an injector o ring personally. Not sure you would notice the leak unless the fuel was squirting out. I was pulling the 5th wheel in mountains when it happened to me. It vented a lot oil all over the lower front of the trailer. I noticed it while buying fuel. I was pretty lucky.

• Like 1

• Owner

Lope could be caused from valve lash too. I had that problem and found I was bit sloppy about my adjustment and ended up being slightly too tight and it will create the same lopey idle. 

I would lift all the injectors back up and reseat them all. While you are at it check the top o-ring for damage. 

• Like 2

So I just figured out the problem. It's not the truck, it's the owner, lol.

When I checked the oil before I drove it the first time, I had bled the fuel system, so I had cranked it quite a bit and then got it to fire. I tightened all the injector lines, let it sit for a minute, and checked the oil. When I checked it the next day and it was higher, it had sat for quite a while. I'm pretty sure I didn't give it a chance to drain all the oil back into the pan before I checked the first time. It was cold out so the oil was thick. I also completely forgot that I pulled this motor out of a rollover wreck and it has a pretty sizable dent in the sump which causes the oil to read high on the dipstick. I put a notch in the dipstick just now and I'm going to monitor this to make sure and so I don't forget again.

The plus side of all of this (or downside) is I saw first hand there was bubbles in the oil as it was coming out of the pushrod so I'm assuming that the oil level is above the crank with that dent and I've been aerating my oil for some time now and didn't know it. At least I know I need a new oil pan for sure now. 

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

The one you're not supposed to touch needs to be torqued to 89 in/lb before you put hold down in place, it has a lip that it bottoms out on, then you torque the other one to 89in/lb 

Ah, this is good to know. I will do this regardless of what I just found.

38 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Lope could be caused from valve lash too. I had that problem and found I was bit sloppy about my adjustment and ended up being slightly too tight and it will create the same lopey idle. 

I would lift all the injectors back up and reseat them all. While you are at it check the top o-ring for damage. 

I will double check the lash. I did it when I did the injectors, but it won't hurt to double check it when I go back in to re-do the hold downs.