• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Basically it really close to my daily driver tune just less timing so it can build boost easier. Daily driver tune you can crank up the timing quite a bit. I really haven't built a separate tow tune just gone in and drop the timing some on the sliders. The rest is the same. 

Ha ha that's exactly what I did, on my daily tune if I tow and hold rpm higher and then load% shifts down engine starts to rattle to much from high timing like someone is there with a hammer bitting on it. So I pretty much left everything alone and just reduced timing by few degrees, I may need to reduce canbus a little to keep egts down some. I was just curious,  but it's amazing how much it can change just by changing timing

You guys intrigue me talking about the manipulability of the Quad.....  I really dont want to spend more money and go through another learning curve, but it does sound interesting.

That said, I dont believe I have an EGT issue either since I can literally hammer down on some hills with my toy hauler in tow and my EGT's will generally hover no higher than around 1200*.  My eyes peeled to the pyrometer too...until the engine temps start to climb and then I back off.  The idea is I've made it to the top before that happens, which is more often than not. :thumb1:

• Owner

25 minutes ago, KATOOM said:

You guys intrigue me talking about the manipulability of the Quad.....

I was the same way back when @Yankneck696 (Ed Grafton) was around. He used to talk about how the Quadzilla did so much. Now that I've been in the Quadzilla now for nearly 3 years. I can say I could not go back to Edge product or any canned tuner. What is so amazing about the VP44 truck there is no set one tune fits all. Like my tune will not work for @Akaiser21 because of injector and turbo differences. So why did people with canned tuners expect the same? Hence why fuel, timing and boost management much simpler and much cleaner than any canned tuner on the market. I'll admit the smarty touch is next in line which will do the same thing but limited to only 60 HP (CANBus fuel only). This is a very complex tuner and does much more than Quadzilla can for CR Engines.

As I've learn there was so much myth and mystery to the VP44 and ECM that if you get down to it. VP44 only controls 2 things. Fuel amount (duration) and timing. Nothing more. What makes the Quadzilla easy is most of the sensors are not used. We get right back to simple tuning without the complex figuring for other sensors (fuel temp or IAT). Since the majority of the time the engine is fully warmed 190*F you can adjust timing to meet IAT temps by advance the full table +1 or retard -1 your choice. The actual name of the game is lower EGT's (more fire burned in the combustion chamber), slightly higher coolant temps (from the fire being more in the combustion chamber) and lower boost because less of the expanding gases are pushing past the turbo. When you engine load rises past your cruise limit set then you want just enough retarded timing to spool the turbo to build power back again so you can quickly return to the cruise state which typically is much lower engine load (fuel duration). Typically my 65 MPH cruise engine load is 17-19%, timing is 22-23* BTDC, EGT's 500-550*F, boost typically 1-2 PSI. Out of cruise timing drops to 16-17* and boost jumps right up. My 55 MPH EGT's are very low like 400-450*F.

Selection_015.png

Edited by Mopar1973Man