• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Can I cover the AC dryer to protect from exhaust heat?

• Owner

Sure... The entire orifice tube assembly. From the condenser out front to the evaporator at the firewall. This is the device that CREATES the cold. The accumulator is after the evaporator so it's got no performance benefit to cover it. Typically when I stop and the Quadzilla is running the engine for cold down I can open the hood and the accumulator is typically soaking wet and sweating hard core. Cold to the touch even after just climbing a 6% grade. I really doubt you going to gain anything with covering the line after the evaporator. Typically even on a 85*F day I've got to add a bit of heat to the temp setting because the cab is dipping down too COLD!

20180625_103843.jpg

• Like 1

• Staff

@Mopar1970man Why are you insulating the hot part of the pipe from the condenser to the orifice tube?

I thought that you would leave that uncovered to let the heat escape like in the condenser.  You would only need to cover the pipe from the orifice tube, after the pressure drop, to the fire wall/evaporator to keep the cold in.

9 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

@Mopar1970man Why are you insulating the hot part of the pipe from the condenser to the orifice tube?

I thought that you would leave that uncovered to let the heat escape like in the condenser.  You would only need to cover the pipe from the orifice tube, after the pressure drop, to the fire wall/evaporator to keep the cold in.

Where's the orifice in this line?

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Near the battery. My problem is the plastic clip failed so the foam protects the line from rub/vibration damage.

That is mainly why I wrapped mine, to keep the air filter from hitting it and it rubbing on anything in that area. I used some foam tape and wrapped that with aluminum tape. Pretty like the oe one was. Really was not thinking about insulation value.

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I've seen it... It a custom homemade heatshield out of some rather interesting materials. Covered on top even. The only open side is towards the fender hole. 

so that is his truck???????

• Staff

Yes...Yes it is duct tape and it is the finest duck tape money can buy.  Only the best for my truck.  464105092_animated-smileys-character-0921.gif.adeda9fc0cb77ba442d57a99f6aad052.gif

It was a little project I was trying out.  I was making a heat shield for the BHAF out of the heat shielding that goes between a cars catalytic converter and the floor pan.  This stuff works great,  about 6 very thin aluminum layers sandwiched between two thicker sheets.  300°+ on one side and 95° on the other.  The duct tape is to cover any sharp edges, then spry painter black.  I took part of it off and ended with this.

IMG_5133.JPG.4052d14407736a81ee677a5d0149552d.JPG

2 hours ago, dripley said:

so that is his truck???????

Yes that's my truck.  It's gold over sliver.  Under the hood is a dull gold.  I haven't polished it yet.   

• Like 1

Well I would polish mine but it would probably be dull blue like it is now. Anyway that picture looked like a complete intake box made of duct tape. Does  the air get thru OK? I have to assume so or you would not be driving it.