• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Top hat valve seal and valve train

• 2 months later...

Well so far my exhaust valve seals have held up with the green gold. When I did them I cleaned the mating surfaces good then put everything together. I let it sit overnight before I started it. I have to change out injectors this weekend so I will recheck them and the intake ones. 

• Like 1

On 11/15/2018 at 10:16 PM, Dieselfuture said:

Keep us posted. My modified top hats seem to be holding up too, but I really need to put more miles on before I can say for sure. 

So all looks good. They looked like I just put them on yesterday. I have around 10k miles on them. So far so good.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Dieselfuture said:

What are you pushing for boost, do you have an exhaust brake. 

As far as boost goes I limited to about 50 52 cuz the head isn't o-ringed. Basically the reason why I got twins is so I can tow, but I like the power too. No exhaust brake don't need it for the 5r110 transmission that Ford has it basically will downshift when it's in tow haul mode. Now I have done some long extended runs on long straightaways and have hit 72 psi and backed off. But the head won't take much of that so I limit it.

• Like 1

Then it must be the exhaust brake that pushed my seals off hight enough to get bit up by retainers. Idk but still wish I had the head machined for top hat seals, the ones that are supposed to be used not the ones I used. I don't like the fact I have a small gap/cavity between top of guide and bottom of seal/lip. I believe that cavity will fill in with soot and contribute to more guide wear, for now I haven't used the exhaust brake much. 

6 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Then it must be the exhaust brake that pushed my seals off hight enough to get bit up by retainers. Idk but still wish I had the head machined for top hat seals, the ones that are supposed to be used not the ones I used. I don't like the fact I have a small gap/cavity between top of guide and bottom of seal/lip. I believe that cavity will fill in with soot and contribute to more guide wear, for now I haven't used the exhaust brake much. 

I think my issues were from high drive pressure. I mean this is the first time I have ever ran twins and  I was a powerstroke guy so it's all new to me

2 minutes ago, mossyoak71 said:

I think my issues were from high drive pressure. I mean this is the first time I have ever ran twins and  I was a powerstroke guy so it's all new to me

In your case it probably was high drive pressure, in mine the only logical thing I can think of is exhaust back pressure, that I heard can get in 70-80 range. I never seen anything more than 45psi, maybe 50 of boost for short bursts. 

Or I'm just hard on my truck and drive it like I stole it, which on a rare occasion I do. Still never had an issue till I had the head redone. I'd hate blaming a shop for this but in this case they could of at least told me that top hats was an option, I would of definitely spent extra 80 bucks to not deal with this. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I was going to do the valve seals this weekend, but the stock & Hamilton springs do not fit over the bottom lip on the SS45933 (4 litre Ford v-6) (VC-292) The springs are .073 , seals are .079. Anybody need some Ford seals?