• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New steering gear

Just lay under the truck and have someone saw the wheel  back and forth and look at all the joints. Look for ones that have slop in them. When may track bar went the front end of the truck moved back and forth before the wheels turned. Noticed while sitting in the drive way.

To find the bad ones.  You have to have someone you trust on the wheel to move it.  (luckily I trust Helga!!!)  (the reason you want someone paying attention, they could crush your hand if not paying attention.)

I put my had completely around the tie rod (ball joint or whatever components you are testing) so my hand touches both the tie rod and the steering knuckle in this example.  While Helga is "sawing" ( that is a perfect description  drip!)  the steering wheel, I close my eyes and just feel the two parts in my hand.  I am trying to feel ANY motion that is NOT what it is supposed to be doing.  In tie rods, you will feel the tie rod move, and the steering knuckle not move for a second, then move.  or if the idler arm is bad, the tie rod will wiggle a bit, or twist  as it is trying to move the wheel.

When the parts are brand new and tightened properly, the entire unit moves as one piece.  As the parts begin to wear, they have differential movement. 

I do the same with ball joints and trac bar, but have friends jump up and down on the bumper or set up ladders so they can step onto or off of the bumper etc. 

HTH

Hag

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1