• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Long story short. For a few weeks now my tranny seems to have a problem making up its mindwhat gear it wants to be in. This only happens at speeds around 50 mph and it shifts repeatidly from od back to 4th then back to od again. I do have 35 inch bfg's on it but do not ever recall it doing this.Any suggestions?? Luke

What Mike said. Also there are many threads on similar if you goodgle "dodge ram 4th gear OD hunt". I can't access from work (blocked) but they include voltage regulator new goveneror sensorTV cable adjustment3+4 band adjustment You might want to read over those also - as there has been more than 1 cause (as with everything):thumbup2:

Thanks Fellas, I do not have any codes showing up on the scan tool. I might try the recalibrate first before I throw money at her. What should I work on first if the recalibrate doesn't do the trick ?Luke

Kinda process of elimination I guess

Do mikes app re-calibration - think its just battery disconnect and pedal ECM recalibration.

Check out http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/90864-100-cure-overdrive-hunt-fix-4th-gear-hunt-fix-4.html

To do with voltage from the alternator - apparenlty $25.

So on cost/ease and elimination

1) Mikes Apps Recalibration

2) Clean Terminals Battery

3) Check alternator and connections/grounds

4) Check TV cable - but not sure if this involves OD ??? If it doesnt - skip

5) Sponge/Noise filter from ATS/DTT. If you pm dozer12216 in the thread he says he has a free fix - you could try that - not sure if its the "foil" method.

oh - its even in same thread

"If you are having this problem get your self

electrical tape and tin foil. wrap the tin foil around the wire that goes from your negitive wire to your alternator then seal it up with the electrical tape"

At least these are non-invasive /cheap ways of testing - and can get you started on a fix

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

Cheaper 'factory' version from BD

http://www.alligatorperformance.com/diesel-1300030-apps-noise-isolator-p-4746.html

Thanks for the tips. On Sunday I gave my rig some love by giving it an oil change and valve adjustment.Anyways the negative lead on the passenger side battery was loose. I cleaned the terminals and snugged 'em up good and tight and no more gear hunting as of today. Could a loose negative terminal really cause the shifting problems?? Today while on the freeway I kept her between 48 and 55 mph where the tranny would normally spaz out and now it works properly.Luke

Could a loose negative terminal really cause the shifting problems?? Today while on the freeway I kept her between 48 and 55 mph where the tranny would normally spaz out and now it works properly. Luke

Hey mate - to be honest I am not sure of the reason specifically anymore than I have read. Mike or W+F or one of the guys will know more on the details (eg voltage/electrical side). Here's a good brief overview of the voltage 'noise' that can come from the APPS or alternator. http://www.trnw.net/z-store/glaenzer.html If the terminal fixes the issue - probably related to the voltage/signals of the circuit to the apps itself :shrug: glad its working for now:woot: