• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

VP44 Keyway Dropped into Gear Case

Update: I cleared the codes today and took the truck on a 20 mile or so drive, with a couple of stops. So far the code hasn't returned; it appears at this point that pump gear misalignment can cause a P0216 code. I'll be keeping an eye on it though. 

Again, thanks for the help, folks.

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

KDP problem is from 1989 to 2001 model year Cummins engines.

Is there a link to the KDP?  Now my knees are knocking!  Is there a fix that prevents catastrophic failure?

Thanks

Michael

10 minutes ago, int3man said:

Is there a link to the KDP?  Now my knees are knocking!  Is there a fix that prevents catastrophic failure?

Thanks

Michael

Several vendors, including sponsor DAP have KDP fix kits. This kit is from Geno's and has good instructions and is one of the cheaper kits.

So my question is.  Is it possible to look with a borescope and see if the plate is in place?  Go in through the breather hole. Thanks 

Michael

16 minutes ago, Bafazane said:

Several vendors, including sponsor DAP have KDP fix kits. This kit is from Geno's and has good instructions and is one of the cheaper kits.

O.K.  Thanks for that.  I appreciate it.  Now I'm new to this so I have to ask, can you remove the breather and look down in there with a bore scope or something to get a peek and see if it has been done?  I bought this second hand and I don't know what has been done.

Thanks 

Michael

• Owner
54 minutes ago, int3man said:

Now I'm new to this so I have to ask, can you remove the breather and look down in there with a bore scope or something to get a peek and see if it has been done?  I bought this second hand and I don't know what has been done.

That would work excellent on a cold engine when all the oil has ran to the pan. This is an updated gearcase...

image.jpg

On 10/1/2018 at 3:16 PM, Bafazane said:

The pump gear was off by one tooth.

That is a first for me to see the pump gear off by a tooth. I know people mention that it not possible to lift the gear high enough to skip a tooth. 

So am I looking at more meat around the dowel pin, or just the end of the hole smaller?  Is there a casting number somewhere on the cover that allows us to tell from the outside?  Date Cut off?  Nothing that organized I assume.

Edited by int3man

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

That is a first for me to see the pump gear off by a tooth. I know people mention that it not possible to lift the gear high enough to skip a tooth. 

I skipped a tooth when I reinstalled the gear into the case with the timing cover off. I don't see any way for that gear to skip a tooth with the cover on, VP shaft present or not.

2 minutes ago, trreed said:

I'm pretty sure he had the cover off looking for the keyway when the teeth got misaligned.  People used to bump their cam by one tooth, giving about 5* advancement on the valves and VP.  They used to swear by it.

An earlier post would confirm the cover being off if IIRC>

3 minutes ago, int3man said:

So am I looking at more meat around the dowel pin, or just the end of the hole smaller?  Is there a casting number somewhere on the cover that allows us to tell from the outside?  Date Cut off?  Nothing that organized I assume.

Look at the 2 earlier pics and you can see a difference in the covers. I never gave mine a second thought after first hearing about it.