• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What makes 24 valves sound different from each other?

Just now, JAG1 said:

I just changed my vibration Dampner and thought it made only a little bit of difference, but after I got it out on the highway..... Wow, it was a huge difference from the old one that had about a 1/16th inch wobble. It's like a brand new truck and I thought I had a slight lope as well

You can see your old one wobble while idling as it sort of 'ghosts' itself there enough to see it.

Thanks Jag illl look into that! 

1 minute ago, Killer223 said:

clean air, clean fuel, clean oil, it'll run a long time.

my 95 has 315K

04 260K

08 195K.

clean oil, clean air, clean fuel. they say not to let a diesel idle, but i have let mine idle for days at a time. drive them, idle sleep in the cab, drive some, once i slept in the cab for 8 days, it never shut off, i was sick. didnt wana move. no ill effects.

the oil once to temp, it's doing the job it's designed to do, these engines like to run, all engines like to run, it's the start stop that kills them. along with bad fuel and dirty air. some with poor programming.

even still wash them good in the winter as often as you can. it'll treat you right if you do the same.

I fully agree. I’ll do WhT it takes to ensure clean supply of air, fuel, and oil. 

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Thank you @Marcus2000monster...

Awesome truck. Your giving me a reason to jump back into doing youtube videos again. Ill try to get a video of my truck.

Would love it Mike! You think my truck sounds different? I’ll try to get a video of the one we are working on at the shop. That is the one that sounds different than mine and started this thread. Also Mike what is the best pop off pressure to set my old Oem sticks to? I’m going to get them sent in and ready to use again if need be. 

• Owner

Nozzle to small. The atomization is good with small nozzles. Its the big nozzles like +100 HP and above that need the higher pressures to make it atomize good. Still, you gain would be timing even with fresh OEM injectors.

Let's say my ultimate highmark is 27.2 MPG hand math. I did this with an Edge Comp but the problem you had to drive seriously slow to get these kinds of numbers. The Edge Comp would lose big if the engine load rose above 20%. Coupled with my smaller tires  I was able to pull it off. 

Now the Quadzilla I'm coming back I've already reached 21 MPG now. My tight schedule tends to make me push more on speed so. The big problem is I've got one good trip now I'm fighting to get my tune rebuilt for cetane change and colder air temps. I'm floating 18-19 MPG.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Nozzle to small. The atomization is good with small nozzles. Its the big nozzles like +100 HP and above that need the higher pressures to make it atomize good. Still, you gain would be timing even with fresh OEM injectors.

Let's say my ultimate highmark is 27.2 MPG hand math. I did this with an Edge Comp but the problem you had to drive seriously slow to get these kinds of numbers. The Edge Comp would lose big if the engine load rose above 20%. Coupled with my smaller tires  I was able to pull it off. 

Now the Quadzilla I'm coming back I've already reached 21 MPG now. My tight schedule tends to make me push more on speed so. The big problem is I've got one good trip now I'm fighting to get my tune rebuilt for cetane change and colder air temps. I'm floating 18-19 MPG.

There’s no question that aQaudzilla is in the future but it’s not gonna happen soon. Until then what would be the best setup for mpg and longevity without smoke and lag? Rv275s or oem sticks? 

Edited by Marcus2000monster

2000's should still be a S.O. 

I have owned 3 of these 24 valves and not a one of them sounded exactly the same. The 99 w/ a auto was probably the loudest. The 2000 w/ 6spd. probably the quietest. And this 02 the engine noise was significantly louder and soon after I bought it put it on the 2-stroke treatment and it quieted down significantly. The 99 never sounded different with or without 2-stroke. And FWIW I always ran 15-40 Rotella in all 3 trucks and never any other oil. And all 3 of them had 4" exhausts but different manufacturer. 

51 minutes ago, trreed said:

Yours sounds fine. Mine on the other hand, I think it’s a combination of low temperature, poor atomization, cold engine, what the valve lash is set at, and an angry VP

https://youtu.be/UqNWGVKuVjQ

Yours definitely sounds wierd. I’m having a loping issue now. It does it sporadically and not for long but all it is is a simple light lope. Just like a truck tuned for a pipe but softer. That’s the only issue I’m trying to track down as of now. 

All part of having big injectors and a SO VP and an HO ecm. Doesn’t bother me anymore. 

Listening to it warm, I definitely have a valve that’s too loose. Can hear it in the cab even. Used to have them at 8 and 18, and it was ridiculously quiet then. But that caused a surging issue on return to idle. 

Edited by trreed
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, trreed said:

All part of having big injectors and a SO VP and an HO ecm. Doesn’t bother me anymore. 

Listening to it warm, I definitely have a valve that’s too loose. Can hear it in the cab even. Used to have them at 8 and 18, and it was ridiculously quiet then. But that caused a surging issue on return to idle. 

Your saying my truck has a SO pump and HO ECM?

1 minute ago, trreed said:

No. I don’t know what’s causing your lope.

I have a lope as well. One cause is warmup mode on the quadzilla. The other was valves that were too tight. Yours could be a result of multiple reasons

My valves are perfect just did them 3 weeks ago. I really wanna find out WTF causes it.