• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Grounds and electrical stuff.

10 minutes ago, dripley said:

Wired straight to battery, no fuse. The fuse does not protect the alternator any way. But I would have to to defer to electrically smarter than I to explain.

Thanks for that. I'm doing that mod this weekend so that info is great to have. Makes me wonder what the 140 amp fuse in the PDC box is suppose to do. Either way I like this mod.

10 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Fuse does nothing after the mod. Unused. Only 2nd Gen trucks have a alternator fuse. Then 3rd gen trucks dropped the fuse idea.

Yeah, kinda new after the mod the fuse would be useless unless you connected something to that post but just puzzling why C would design/install it in the first place. I also wonder it there is any benefit to running a additional wire (after doing the mod direct to the passenger battery) from the battery over the top of the radiator to the drivers side battery from the alternator. Thoughts?

• Staff
14 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Too much voltage loss not required.

I haven't done that part either, After reading W-Ts' article I thought it was to help the driver side battery absorb it's share of the ac ripple.

Edited by JAG1

17 hours ago, rotohead said:

Yeah, kinda new after the mod the fuse would be useless unless you connected something to that post but just puzzling why C would design/install it in the first place. I also wonder it there is any benefit to running a additional wire (after doing the mod direct to the passenger battery) from the battery over the top of the radiator to the drivers side battery from the alternator. Thoughts?

You mean like this or a seperate charge wire from the alternator?

I woul almost think this wire does that, but this is from Sparky the Chicken's mind.

20181110_125441.jpg.04786f68018b155dd950e3a592310ddd.jpg

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

• Owner

Correct. The heavy cable has way less voltage loss in the travel. This why the charge lead needs to be as short as possible. I cut off over 4 foot of cable and down to a mere foot or so of cable to the battery. A huge reduction in voltage loss in the run across the front of the engine back to the PDC.

29 minutes ago, dripley said:

You mean like this or a seperate charge wire from the alternator?

I woul almost think this wire does that, but this is from Sparky the Chicken's mind.

20181110_125441.jpg.04786f68018b155dd950e3a592310ddd.jpg

Yeah, I was thinking if there really was a purpose for the 140 amp fuse in the PDC it might be worth it to run another charge wire from the alt to the PDC but it seems that fuse doesn't do anything.

5 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Correct. The heavy cable has way less voltage loss in the travel. This why the charge lead needs to be as short as possible. I cut off over 4 foot of cable and down to a mere foot or so of cable to the battery. A huge reduction in voltage loss in the run across the front of the engine back to the PDC.

Make sense. I'm going to do that this afternoon. Thanks. I've got all new replacement battery cables and those nice battery terminal mounts from Genos Garage. Going to replace a lot of the OEM wiring and replace all the looms as they've all deteriorated badly. Looks like crap. 

• Owner
1 minute ago, rotohead said:

Yeah, I was thinking if there really was a purpose for the 140 amp fuse in the PDC it might be worth it to run another charge wire from the alt to the PDC but it seems that fuse doesn't do anything.

@W-T got me thinking about the whole thing too. When you check back on the Dodge Ram truck history. 

• 1st Gen 89 to 93 - No alternator fuse.
  • 2nd Gen 94 to 02 - 140 Amp Alternator Fuse in PDC
  • 3rd Gen 03 to 07 - No alternator fuse.
  • 4th Gen 07 to 18 - No alternator fuse.
  • 5th Gen coming out in 2019. Most likely won't have an alternator fuse either.  
5 minutes ago, rotohead said:

Going to replace a lot of the OEM wiring and replace all the looms as they've all deteriorated badly. Looks like crap. 

You should see mine I still got all the OEM cables yet and excellent condition and never corroded once!

The inline fuse  was not meant to protect any increased amperage output from the alternator, but rather, to protect if the alternator develops a ground fault. Thats why the 140amp fuse allows your alternator to pass current up to it's max 136amp output.

When the alternator blows a positive diode, you now have the battery shorting to the ground faulted alternator - a couple 1000 amps with dual batteries - major fire hazard. Think overheated batteries + burning wires.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ofelas said:

The inline fuse  was not meant to protect any increased amperage output from the alternator, but rather, to protect if the alternator develops a ground fault. Thats why the 140amp fuse allows your alternator to pass current up to it's max 136amp output.

When the alternator blows a positive diode, you now have the battery shorting to the ground faulted alternator - a couple 1000 amps with dual batteries - major fire hazard. Think overheated batteries + burning wires.

So 3rd and 4th gen trucks have this possible fire hazard?

• Owner
13 minutes ago, ofelas said:

9 minutes ago, rotohead said:

So 3rd and 4th gen trucks have this possible fire hazard?

So now search back on the internet and you find no such thing has ever happened. The diode will burn out like a fuse and that the end of it. The circuit is now open.

Denso Alternator Diode or Rectifier

This is some terribly wrong information in the quote below. 

• 1st Gen 89 to 93 - No alternator fuse. 
  • 2nd Gen 94 to 02 - 140 Amp Alternator Fuse in PDC
  • 3rd Gen 03 to 07 - No alternator fuse.
  • 4th Gen 07 to 18 - No alternator fuse.
  • 5th Gen coming out in 2019. Most likely won't have an alternator fuse either. 

First gens have a fusible link in the charge wire to battery.

3rd & 4th gens - the TIPM has a fuse between it & one battery, whether driver's side or passengers side depends on single or dual alternator setups.

5th gen, 6th gen, any gen - will most definitely have some variation of ground fault protection in the charge circuit.

It's been some 15 years ago or so but I do remember 2nd gen owner(s) on another forum having to replace blown 140 amp fuses when trying to upgrade to higher output Alternators. I'm trying to find those old post but it's been awhile ago.

I'm thinking of adding one of those 200amp circuit breakers that are used in audio applications just as a precaution. What could it hurt?

14 minutes ago, rotohead said:

It's been some 15 years ago or so but I do remember 2nd gen owner(s) on another forum having to replace blown 140 amp fuses when trying to upgrade to higher output Alternators. I'm trying to find those old post but it's been awhile ago.

I'm thinking of adding one of those 200amp circuit breakers that are used in audio applications just as a precaution. What could it hurt?

A 200amp fuse won't prevent a battery shorting to ground, which in my battery setup, can be 2200 amps, and will blow a 140amp fuse just as easily as a 200amp fuse.

The charge circuit fuse should be rated just a bit above the max amperage a normally functioning alternator is capable of producing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ofelas said:

A 200amp fuse won't prevent a battery shorting to ground, which in my battery setup, can be 2200 amps, and will blow a 140amp fuse just as easily as a 200amp fuse.

The charge circuit fuse should be rated just a bit above the max amperage a normally functioning alternator is capable of producing.

So what do you suggest to avoid this potential fire hazard if I wanted to make it right?