• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel and Boost Pressure, what is good?

The truck is basically stock, except I have installed a Heath wastegate controller (spring type).  Truck has 270K on it.

I finally installed fuel and boost pressure gauges in my 96.  When cold fuel pressure is 30 pounds at idle, 38 pounds at 2000 rpm's. At operating temp idle pressure is 22, at 2000 rpm's 32 - 34.  Is this with in specs?

My boost running down the road with my my car trailer on hauling a ton is 6 - 8 pounds.  Maximum boost that I can get is 28 pounds.  Again is this good or could it be better?

Bob

• Owner

P-pump fuel pressure sounds about right. Mechanical lift pump tends to lose volume in the higher RPM range. This is normal.

Boost is resulting typically of spent fuel. Like what I'm learning with the Quadzilla on the 24V engine as you retard timing you can increase boost but at a loss of efficiency. Then if you advance timing you push more of the burning cycle in the cylinder making the boost lower and EGT's lower. Sad but true a P7100 is a static timing pump that has no advancement.