• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Homemade bumper

Thanks Dieselfuture. No. Sometimes i just remove the tag or put on a bogus one.

Once again i forgot to take better pictures. I did get the Mopar1973man breather tube done today. No more oily nasty mess up front for me.

• Like 1

I love it looks amazing. I'd of only done one thing different I'd of used 1" thick shackle points cut through the bumper and welded inside to frame mounts. So the cant be pulled off.

I love the looks and amazing build quality you put into it to. I really dig the added weight too.

Edited by Evan

Thank you Evan.

The D-ring mounts are cut through the bumper. 1/2" plate, 3.5" tall. They are the mounting brackets. Bolt to frame with 4 grade 8 bolts per side. The d-rings have a 1" bolt. Added DOM spacers to mount to take up slop. Inside of rings was almost 1.5"  I might be able to bend something but i doubt I'll ever pull them off.

Edited by Gregturley

Ouch. That hurts. This truck was a fleet truck for my work. Its had a hard life being driven and repaired by idiots. I got it cheap enough from our auction to put some money and time into it. Trans was rebuilt 15000 miles ago and vp44 replaced at dealer 8000 miles ago before i bought it. No rust on bumper or d-rings. I know the hitch looks bad but the ball mount slides right out.

• Owner

I was being honest. I don't use any thread locker or anything on frame stuff... I'm in the rust world too and I typically put anti-seize on everything. Other than that you'll be cutting it off with a torch in the future. Again being serious... 

My last thing to do on the axles was doing wheel u-joints and 4 hours beating on a unit bearing to remove it. 

As much as i hate the stuff i use a lot of antiseize also. Here was my temporary rocker repair. White Gorilla Tape. I found a rust & dent free bed for $200 right after i got the truck. Found a driver rear door rust free for $50. Looking for a good driver front  door now. May do rockers this summer. Then I'll paint it but havent decided a color yet.

20190413_123629.jpg

I cut rockers out and welded in a 2x8x3/16 tube on my jeep.

I dont think ive i seen this done on a 2nd gen but maybe

I've often thought about doing this on the truck. Mainly just for fun. If my truck was rusty I'd be all over it.

2018-08-28_04-46-24.jpg

2018-08-28_04-46-52.jpg

2018-08-28_04-47-17.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gregturley said:

Here was my temporary rocker repair. White Gorilla Tape.

Got you beat

20180708_210118.jpg.446264dae68e34b633d5a071b0806be0.jpg20180708_210054.jpg.485e4a568a192dc19cd4d391907ddc8b.jpg

It's temporary, but will be like that for a while :shifty:

7 hours ago, Evan said:

I've often thought about doing this on the truck. Mainly just for fun.

You may be on to something :think:

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I put flush mount reverse lights in the bumper when i built it and quickly realized they suck. A quick trip to AutoZone and i picked up some 3M lens repair film. I put 2 layers on the inside of the led lens and hooked the wiring up to the trailer wiring for left & right turn/brake signals. Now instead of useless reverse lights I have very visible led turn/brake lights.  Mounted some extra cube leds under the bumper that work great for back up lamps.

20190608_180736.jpg