• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

cheap air compressors

ahhhhhh!!!!!!! me and my dog came in to the shop to install onboard air on my dodge today and i spent the better part of the day installing air compressors in the tool box, holding tanks in and under the bed, wiring up sensors and pressure gauges. figured i would check the system out before installing quick connects on the bumpers front and rear, found and repaired a few leaks and watched the pressure build and all of a sudden i blew a fuse on one compressor, checked wiring and cooled off unit tried again and pop. this sucks then found second compressor leaking at head gasket. well i guess thats what i get for installing cut-offs from a mini truck. oh-well guess ill do a right up on disassembling and rebuilding air compressors if i can find parts.:cry:

i want to install air bags on my rear-end to compensate when gooseneck is severly loaded and possibaly train horns. so i need a air supply figured i would get the system installed today and while i was at it i am going to install some feed lines to the bumpers incase i want to air up a tire or run a impact. now i have 20 gallons of storage for compressed air and no compressors

Do you really need air bags? My goosneck horse trailer throws a lot of load in the truck. The trailer is aluminum but the axles are VERY far back to clear the full manger door. With the gooseneck & dressing room stuffed with re-enacting gear, cranking the jack is real work. Lately, I've been blowing gaskets (head gaskets, output cover gaskets) on my old Dayton compressor. My mechanic has resealed my aluminum wheels on the Cirus... so it's only needed air every other week, instead of every other day! LOL!!Russ

the airbags might not be a neccesatiy but i hate that sagging on the rear of the truck and if its level it should be more stable. it will put some weight back on the front axle which gets a little light in the steering.

Man you should do it and write it up :) that would be interesting before and after - heaps of pics !! :thumbup2:

I'm also thinking of an on-board air system. I was inspired by 1speed on Expedition portal forum.

Posted Image

He also did an airbag setup along with a ton of other stuff:

Posted Image

Jim is a great guy and built his truck for off-road use. The build thread is 37 pages long but if you got a few hours to kill.... The air system starts on page 25. Yes, it is a Cummins. Here's the thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25237

I always wanted to do something with a second A/C compressor. My ford's A/C leaked so it was perfect for a test, and it did pump up the 10 gallon tank to 40psi quickly, just idling, after 40 it would leak past everything because the threads are not NPT and A/C lines that go into it sealed it off with a special o ring thing. If you got it to seal and everything, you could run the clutch off a pressure switch so it would just disengage the clutch when it hit the pressure you wanted. The only downfall is the engine has to be running. Might be something to think about if they ever get cylinder deactivation into the diesel world and you make it run on 1 cylinder :lol:Nevertheless, I still want to do it, just not sure where I would mount it.

Nice set up on compressors for air ride. I have been using two Viair 450c's for almost 6 years and no problems what so ever. I use them for my train horns and on board air with. I had them on my old truck with two 5 gallon slim tanks. But on my 98.5 it was very hard for me to shoe horn in one five gallon tank but I made it happen. How ever I did make a cheap compressor set up using the knock off Viair compressors Harbor freight sells for my buddies tow truck. made some changes to the plumbing. It was installed in a tool box. It worked for him. But for heavy use I would get a good compressor. Or you could make your own Oasis style compressor with a York compressor and starter motor coupled together. Good Luck. John http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-150-psi-high-volume-air-compressor-66399.html http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/project-cj7/project-cj7-onboard-air.htm http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/yorkair.html