• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Runs when cold - Major issues as warms

Hello everyone,

I need some help determining what is happening here. I’m supposed to be taking my truck to WY in November, but this is a problem.

My truck has been running ok but it doesn’t get a lot of use these days. Over the summer, I barely started it so it had fuel in it from spring time. I tend to run 1oz/1gal of 2 cycle oil in the fuel. It is stock other than putting a different lift pump and fuel lines for the pump.

It has started and ran ok cold. I’ve fooled with this just a bit over the last couple weekends. I got in it and have lots of bluish/white smoke, but only after past it being cold. Today I started it and it was running ok cold. I jumped on the highway and ran it up to nearly 3k rpm just fine, over 70 mph, 2 miles down the highway and then 2 miles back. Parked it, ran inside to change clothes then came back out, started it and head out and started it’s sputtering and surging. I might be able to rev up over 2000 rpm, but then it’ll surge/fall back, surge/fall back, or then sputter, then lose power  (while at full pedal) down to nearly 1000k rpm. Obviously, the smoke increases with this. On the highway, it seems bluer.

I have a video of revving and the smoke, all while sitting still. Maybe it’ll help you understand some of what I’m dealing with. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8SIM-ahqtIw

Now this is all after having issues 2 weekends back, trying to work on it last weekend, adding 1 pint of gasoline (last weekend) to a little over 15 gals of fuel in the tank to try and increase octane a touch (wondering if the 2 cycle might have settled by the intake, or gelled or fuel got old or something).

I can and am leaving it idling as we speak. No blue smoke at idle, btw.  What I’m doing is trying to get the fuel level very low in the tank. I plan on putting in fresh fuel and probably some Seafoam just to clean injectors in case I’ve gummed things up. I had had a bit of a fuel leak from my fuel line feeding the injector pump after it left the lift pump. I need to tighten that.

Any ideas, guys? Suggestions on what to chase down? Do I have a lift pump issue? VP issue? Have I got a sensor gone bad? Have I got bad fuel and should see resolution with fresh fuel and a “cleaned out” tank?

Thanks in advance!

• Staff

I could be wrong, of course, but I think its contaminated fuel. You could do damage by trying to emulsify water with the fuel trying to get it to run thru the system. All diesels need a water separating big filter before the lift pump so it can't mix into smaller droplets and have the smaller factory filter failing to filter them all.

Do you have good fuel pressure?

Edited by JAG1

I haven’t gotten to the gauge install yet. I need to badly.

Ok, I wanted to drain the tank but know no good way. Tell me how and I’ll empty that puppy out. I’ve left the system stock, so it has the OEM fuel filter, but I believe it is after the lift if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the quick reply!

• Staff

Even if you can just get a sample off the tank bottom that would tell you a lot. Many of these trucks that haven't had their fuel system upgraded have clogged screens down in the bottom of the fuel module. If you also have old fuel with a bit of algae/ water in the bottom it will run poor. Try to get the tank dropped, but if going into the job that far you should have the big line kit ready with a prefilter to install. That way you can cut out the screens and add the filter. Vulcan performance parts can set you up with a kit that has the fuel pressure gauge fittings too.

So I was able to insert a 1/2" siphon hose into the tank and draw it down. I turned on the key and the low fuel indicator chimed in. The fuel was clear and looked good. I didn't see any particulates or water.

Change the stock fuel filter, put in clean fuel and see what happens? I work out of town and am only getting to work on the weekend. I need to hit the road Nov 10 with it, hopefully.. I don't have unlimited fund but will see how many I can do now. It has been my goal all along to get all the gauges installed in the truck, as I plan on keeping the wonderful truck from now until my or it's end.

I'll consider all suggestions of gauges and filters etc to install. I did put in some increased hoses and the raptor lift pump. But I need an idea of where to go from here. I'll also see about a better read on the OBD.

• Staff

IMHO I believe Isspro Gauges are the most reliable.

The siphon tube down the bottom won't tell you anything about what condition the screens are in. I saw one instance where the screens were clogged by some sort of residue left by the fuel. It was a varnish like coating, Other times I have seen dirt and sediments glommed onto the screens. Had to be causing a degree of fuel starvation.

As the truck warms more sediment could be getting sucked into the screens the more it runs.

Another item to watch is to leave the fuel cap loose when she acts up as it could be the tank vent is clogged and she is starving for fuel that way.

• Like 1