• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil Weight 5.7 Hemi

• Staff

Heavier oil may effect the MDS feature of the 1500, but the 2500/3500 trucks call for a 5w-30. 

That being said towing will have a much larger effect on oil temp than ambient temp will, as the coolant heats the oil up more than ambient. If you don't tow with it then 5w-20 is likely fine for all conditions and may yield slightly better mileage...which is why they recommend it. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 1

One thing to remember, especially with those newer Rams (and likely most newer makes) is that a lot of these specs are chosen with efficiency and emissions goals and long maintenance intervals in mind, not the lifespan of the vehicle and it's associated parts. I think we do have to put some trust into the manufacturer's recommendations, but I trust their judgement less and less as the years go by. 

• Staff

Yes and no. Modern machining on stock engines is probably as good as, or better, than custom machining 20-30 years ago. Higher rpms and higher power outputs have demanded an improvement. Things have come a long way and manufacturing tighter tolerances will allow for thinner oils without longevity issues. Oil also isn't what it used to be, its MUCH better. Things get better, but change is sometimes hard. 

Yes thinner oils are there for efficiency reasons, but it may not be a bad thing. If the application is a 1500 that doesn't tow I'd have no issues running a 5w-20. If you tow frequently then a 5w-30 is probably a better option. A 5w-20 synthetic is probably perfect for occasional light towing.

I did noticed that in the 2014 manual it talks about above and below 14K GCW for 5w-20 vs 5w-30. In the 2018 manual that blurb is gone and it just states that 5w-30 is acceptable for all platforms if 5w-20 is not available. 

There is nothing wrong with longer maintenance intervals on modern equipment. Between the improvements in the machining and the excellent fuel injection the oil isn't abused like it was on carborated or older EFI systems. 

I did have to laugh when I got my 05 TJ with a 4.0 thou. It was the 2nd to last year of that motor and maintenance intervals were the same was when it came out, 3K/3mo. There is no way in hell I'm changing the oil that often, it's absolutely not necessary even on that old tractor motor. It will get 12 month changes with good synthetic and good filters, and I'll save money and time. 

Edited by AH64ID