• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cheap factory 160a alternator

Years ago i used red loctite on my buddy's spare tire wing nut. He was a cop that rode in an area with a lot of construction. He didn't see the humor in it when he had a flat in the rain and couldn't get his spare out. It was payback for him pulling me over daily for months.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rockauto and several other parts houses list the part number for 02 to 03 rams also, I'm sure I have one off of 02 5.9 v8 but I think it's 136amp, looks like there was117/136/160 amp alternators used at that time... bet the one I have is not 160

@wil440 i saw that listed in the article but have not confirmed it myself. Be good if correct. I'll do a numerical listing on Napa computer in a few and see what i come up with.

Update: NAPA listing is for 01-03 Durango 5.9l V-8. No pick-up trucks. That is using the Mopar factory number.

Edited by Gregturley
Info

16 minutes ago, Gregturley said:

@wil440 i saw that listed in the article but have not confirmed it myself. Be good if correct. I'll do a numerical listing on Napa computer in a few and see what i come up with.

It took a while to check on RockA as they don't seem to have the years and models parts fit anymore or at least I couldn't find it, they used to have a cross ref within the info

I had my NAPA guy cross the factory alternator number to a NAPA number. Then did a check of all vehicles that use the NAPA number. Durango is all that it shows. I am not saying this info is 100%, just that I cannot easily verify a use on a pickup.

Mopar may have used a 160 amp alt on some trucks, and it may work for our trucks, but they could have made some minor change like where the charging stud is located. A change like that will get a different PN.

7 minutes ago, Gregturley said:

Anyone know anything about a factory 180 amp alternator that may have been used on a Dodge ambulance package with the Cummins engine? I've heard rumors of it but have not been able to find any info or part numbers to back it up.

Allpar have an ambulance page with a cummins ram and also mention a v10 3500

I know they made them, I've seen pics but havent been able to find anything out about the charging system. 

Our meat trucks are fords and they used twin alts because of the electrical demand from lights and emt equipment. We've never had any Mopars.

Never had a chance to load test the alternator this past week. Bad things going on at work. Hopefully things calm down so I can do it this coming week. Pulley showed up today and i did a test fit on my 136 amp. Definitely not a lot of thread engagement. Think ill try to find a different nut to try. 

• Thanks 1