• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Brake Fluid - Dot 3 or Dot 4? Recommendations welcome.

2001 3500 Dually.

Hi all just wondering what people are using for brake fluid and if there is any specific brake fluid that is idea for steep mountain driving.

I'm about to use Dot 4 on my cars as they need a fluid change and that appears to have a lower boiling point.

• Owner

Been using DOT 3 for years but requires changing and flushing the system every 30k miles. 

DOT 4 has better qualities being the boiling point is much higher and the capable of hold a bit more moisture before going south and losing boiling point temps. Moisture in any form is bad deal and will cause rubber failure and metal failure from oxidation.

DOT 5 I do not suggest being its a totally different fluid and it is silicone based and requires different types of seals and rubber possibly. This can't be mix with either DOT 3 or DOT 4. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
On 2/9/2020 at 8:05 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Been using DOT 3 for years but requires changing and flushing the system every 30k miles. 

DOT 4 has better qualities being the boiling point is much higher and the capable of hold a bit more moisture before going south and losing boiling point temps. Moisture in any form is bad deal and will cause rubber failure and metal failure from oxidation.

DOT 5 I do not suggest being its a totally different fluid and it is silicone based and requires different types of seals and rubber possibly. This can't be mix with either DOT 3 or DOT 4. 

I'm getting ready to flush my entire brake system and upgrade to Dot 4 fluid. 

Would you be able to tell me the capacity of the system so I can purchase the correct amount of fluid?