• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ecm or something else?

Slightly new here but have looked around, yet still cant find an answer maybe yall could help. I have a 2000 24v that will run when doing the bule chip diesel hot wire to the vp44 test but wont run with the plug. Making me think Ecm. For some background the truck was originally a v10 model converted to diesel. The only part remaining from the gas version is the physical dash and dash harness(insturment cluster was swapped as well). The truck was throwing p1693 code when i had my cheap scanner hooked to it as well as the sending unit code. When i hooked up my nice snap on one it said there was no codes? Anyone have any ideas? 

Edited by Troy717

All of the computers including the ECM, PCM, Insturment cluster, engine harness and fuse box harness came from the same truck which is whats causing my confustion. i have cleaned and attached then recleaned the grounds several times with the same result. my WTS light doesnt stay on and none of the dash lights flicker at all.

Edited by Troy717

• Owner

WTS is only light that is controlled directly by the ECM. If there is a WTS light issue, or wiring issue there would be P0381 code. 

ECM and VP44 are ground directly to the battery terminal on the passenger side. No body ground for PCM, ECM or VP44 these three are directly ground to the battery. No body grounds for these. 

IAT sensor and Battery temperature sensor control the WTS light for duration. These are a must for proper WTS and grid heater function.

All other gauge cluster functions are pulled from the CCD Network. If there is any P1698 or P1694 codes then you have a CCD network issue.

• 2 weeks later...

To give an update. Sent the ECM out to ACS. Good guys out there got my ECM back quickly. However truck still will only run if vp is hot wired. My insight shows no dtcs. But the key trick still shows p1693. Anyone have any ideas?

Since the dash has been out you need to check the three wiring connectors that plug into the back side of the fuse block.

Squeeze your hand up above the parking brake and feel around for them, they plug into the backside of the fuse block they are extemely difficult to remove even when the dash is pulled back. The plastic latches offten get broke, I know from experience.

They could have worked loose just push on them to make sure they are seated. Did you try swapping around the fuel system relay its the one in the lower left corner of the PDC when standing by the drivers fender?