• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Power steering and the cold

Been dealing with some mid 20's temps of late. Fire the truck in the am and the steering pump is moaning and groaning. Thats not to surprising to me since the pump is the OE pump and could stand a fluid change. The weird part is I drive about a mile from the house to get coffee and its moaning and groaning the whole way. Park, get coffee then jump in the truck fire it off and no moaning and groaning, not a sound. Drive 25 miles to the and still nothing. Not complaining but it does seem weird that after a mile of it complaining, all I have to do is shut it down and restart and it quits complaining. 

Drip,

You are hearing the relief valve.   The thick oil just doesn't want to go through the orifice.  That is usually what squeels.   Do a down and dirty turkey (chicken?) baster fluid change and see if it helps.  (get a cheap turkey (chicken?) baster, and a can you can discard.  Take out what you can from the reservoir and discard, replace with new.)    Next evening do the same thing again.  Do it about 4 or 5 times and you will have replaced most of the old oil.   if it does... no need to change pumps. 

GL 

Hag 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Haggar said:

Drip,

You are hearing the relief valve.   The thick oil just doesn't want to go through the orifice.  That is usually what squeels.   Do a down and dirty turkey (chicken?) baster fluid change and see if it helps.  (get a cheap turkey (chicken?) baster, and a can you can discard.  Take out what you can from the reservoir and discard, replace with new.)    Next evening do the same thing again.  Do it about 4 or 5 times and you will have replaced most of the old oil.   if it does... no need to change pumps. 

GL 

Hag 

I am going give that a shot when I get home. In have a dedicated baster in the shop for that. Not turkey nor chicken. Just been a while since I have done it. Just seems weird that its groaning formthe 3 minute ride for coffee and then on restart nothing. Guess maybe the fluid gets warm just sitting the resevoir for those few minute is not running.:shrug:

• Owner

Time to flush and refill. Only good for30k miles then the fluid starts to moan when cold. Just changing typically fixes the problem for me. Still using cheap SuperTech power steering fluid.

Do it right with a full flush. just using a baster will only pull barely pint maybe? There is just about 2 quarts of fluid in the system. Like draining 1.5 gallon out of the crankcase and topping off again. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

When I lived in ND, it groaned all the time when it was below zero.  I switched over to synthetic fluid and I don't believe I ever heard it groan again, even when -40F.

I'm still on my original power steering pump.  I recently replaced the gasket between the pump and reservoir, though.

• Owner
12 hours ago, cs15dah said:

When I lived in ND, it groaned all the time when it was below zero.  I switched over to synthetic fluid and I don't believe I ever heard it groan again, even when -40F.

Same here. But the only difference is I change fluids every 30k miles and used petroleum products. No issues as of yet at 409k miles and still rolling.