• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

F150 Ecoboost and 5th wheel

Manimalmother

So my brother has an early Ecoboost F-150 with the maxtow package and 5.5' bed.  He just traded his bumper pull camper in on a 37' fifth wheel that weighs 9100lbs dry and empty.  Am I right thinking he is out of his mind wanting to pull that?

He says the truck is rated to pull 11200.  I'm not buying it.

4 hours ago, Manimalmother said:

So my brother has an early Ecoboost F-150 with the maxtow package and 5.5' bed.  He just traded his bumper pull camper in on a 37' fifth wheel that weighs 9100lbs dry and empty.  Am I right thinking he is out of his mind wanting to pull that?

He says the truck is rated to pull 11200.  I'm not buying it.

Downhill with a tailwind?

22 minutes ago, Blueox01 said:

Downhill with a tailwind?

I love to see him stopping it. 

53 minutes ago, Manimalmother said:

My fifth wheel is heavier but it gives my truck a workout.  I'm more concerned with what the pin weight is going to be on that half ton 

Mine is 15k loaded and the pin weight is about 3k. That and with what carry in the bed puts me right 6k on the rear axle. IIRC that is about maxxed out on mine with the tow package on the dana 80.

It won't be a legal tow, even if the gross combined weight isn't exceeded. Rear axle weight rating will be way over from the pin weight. That's way too much weight. Loaded up the trailer probably weighs 11k. That EcoBoost will run hot and have a short life with some of the worst towing fuel economy you've ever seen.

• Owner

I never liked 5th wheels for the 25% pin weight they come with. I always loved bumper pulls you can have bigger RV but only 15% hitch weight and do fine. 5th wheels typically require a full one ton truck to do properly. Yeah @dripley should be on 1 ton truck for his too.

Last time I scaled out I was -60 pounds from GVWR on the truck then only -3.000 pounds from GCWR. As for the trailer it was -500 pounds from GVWR.

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I never liked 5th wheels for the 25% pin weight they come with. I always loved bumper pulls you can have bigger RV but only 15% hitch weight and do fine. 5th wheels typically require a full one ton truck to do properly. Yeah @dripley should be on 1 ton truck for his too.

Last time I scaled out I was -60 pounds from GVWR on the truck then only -3.000 pounds from GCWR. As for the trailer it was -500 pounds from GVWR.

I am about 3k over gross at 23k with mine on. 15k is just the trailer. It works fine but I would love to lighten up a good bit.