• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My idea of the ultimate towing turbo

Got some presents in the mail today from the good ol US Postal Service.

I am going to build a hybrid hx35/40.  Well.. it'll be mostly HX40 with the only 35 carryover being the turbine housing.

As much as I searched, it just does not seem like there is a reasonbly priced turbo between an HX35 and a 62/68 BW variant that everyone seems to love.  As cool as a BW 62mm would be, i just dont need that much turbo, i dont want the added lag, and my truck's primary function is towing my 5th wheel toybox which is around 13k loaded so i need the turbo to spool reasonably quick.

I ended up buying what is basically a new, un-assembled complete hx40 without the turbine housing (ill be reusing the 12cm 35 housing).

Specs:

--10 blade 64mm hx40 turbine

--60mm billet hx40 compressor

--new center section

--new compressor housing machined to match the billet compressor

I just dropped off my turbine housing at the machine shop to be bored out for the larger turbine wheel.  Hope to pick it up tomorrow at which point i'll assemble the turbo and install.

Couple pics

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by gimmie11s
  • Like 3

I think you're pretty much just built similar turbo I got through

http://www.northamericanturbo.com

How much did you invest in yours.

Mine is hx 40 compressor housing machined for a 62 billet extended tip wheel, hx35 machined exhaust housing with some 67 Mack truck turbine or so I'm told. I got $800 in mine to the door without a core. Kept mine original one, figured it's worth a $100 any day. Otherwise it would have been  $700 

1 minute ago, Dieselfuture said:

I think you're pretty much just built similar turbo I got through

http://www.northamericanturbo.com

How much did you invest in yours.

Mine is hx 40 compressor housing machined for a 62 billet extended tip wheel, hx35 machined exhaust housing with some 67 Mack truck turbine or so I'm told. I got $800 in mine to the door without a core. Kept mine original one, figured it's worth a $100 any day. Otherwise it would have been  $700 

Nice!  You went bigger than me.  How does it spool?  How is the power?  

Im into mine for $500... of course i have to assemble it myself.

It spools good, just a bit slower (few hundreed rpms) than stock xh35, I'm guessing has a lot to do with 7x10s and quad tuning. I'm pretty happy with my set up for what I'm doing, some day if I get on better side of my wife I'll get tweens, at this time I just don't need them, sure would be fun though. I'm slowly searching for parts to go for tweens :stirthepot: may be few more years idk, I do feel that some day it will happen :burnout:

• Like 1

Well i got her all buttoned up and running.  Local turbo shop was able to open up my hx35 12cm turbine housing for the new 64mm turbine wheel.... only charged me $40 to do it.

First impressions... WOW!  Absolutely love it.  The boost threshold has moved up in the RPM range by about 200 RPM.  Where the hx35 was making steam around 1600rpm, this one is coming on hard at 1800rpm.  I can control boost pressure with my right foot around the 1950-2000 rpm mark (this is where its "on the pipe").  It really is perfect for my gears and how much weight i tow....

With the hx35, the most boost ive ever seen was about 33-34 under heavy load on max default Quad setting (level 10).  EGTs would skyrocket quickly and I'd have to let off the throttle.

First drive with the new turbo and boost blew past 40psi almost immediately and I let off.  Pulled over and turned down my boost pressure (adjustable boost controller) so it maxes out around 35-38 psi.   I was originally considering going non-wastegate.. glad i didnt!  This turbo would probably make 50 psi.  

I can now run level 10 on the Quad all the way to redline and EGT barely creeps past 1200 degrees with boost being around 37-38 psi.

Amazing amazing upgrade!  With any luck, next week i'll be installing an NOS pacbrake i bought off offerup last night.  Should be a perfect combo!

Couple pics and a short video ...

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

16.jpg

9.jpg

Quick video of the turbo whistle.. sweet!!

Edited by gimmie11s
  • Like 4

I’m in the process of building one myself. Pretty much the same as yours but with a 62.35mm compressor wheel. The mechanic at our shop says he can mill the turbine housing out for me.  Found a complete Hx35 on eBay for $120. Only thing I’ll use off that will be the turbine housing. Your  truck sounds great btw! 

Edited by Threadzy

The 64mm turbine and 62 compressor are going to be great, probably the perfect sizes.  You'll love it.  I wanted to stay as close to stock spool as possible but in hindsight, I could have gone 62mm compressor since my truck has 4.10s and operates over 2000rpm at freeway speeds.

This really is a great upgrade for half the cost of a new BW S3xxSXE...

I really need some 7x10s!!

Tell me about your DAP 7x10s... anything youd have done diferent?  Larger?  Smaller?  How do you like that 325 bar pop pressure?

Thanks

Edited by gimmie11s
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gimmie11s said:

Tell me about your DAP 7x10s... anything youd have done diferent?  Larger?  Smaller?  How do you like that 325 bar pop pressure?

So far so good I really like them. No hard starts no black smoke. My main reason to raise the pop pressure is so they’ll stay above the minimum pop pressure for many thousand miles. Truck runs great! For my DD tune my fueling starts out at 84% and tops out somewhere ( I’d have to look) around 130%. No black smoke. I imagine over time I’ll have to lower the fuel table but for now its awesome! Oh yeah, I’ve got the bug! I started with a Powerpuck. Then some Rv275’s. About a month later I  found some used Dap 7x.009’s. About a month ago Dap had a sale on reman’s so I went to the 7x.010’s. Now upgrading my turbo for the second time! All this over a 3 -4 year period. Haha it’s addicting! One thing for sure I have a stout tow rig! 

Edited by Threadzy

13 minutes ago, Threadzy said:

So far so good I really like them. No hard starts no black smoke. My main reason to raise the pop pressure is so they’ll stay above the minimum pop pressure for many thousand miles. Truck runs great! For my DD tune my fueling starts out at 84% and tops out somewhere ( I’d have to look) around 130%. No black smoke. I imagine over time I’ll have to lower the fuel table but for now its awesome! Oh yeah, I’ve got the bug! I started with a Powerpuck. Then some Rv275’s. About a month later I  found some used Dap 7x.009’s. About a month ago Dap had a sale on reman’s so I went to the 7x.010’s. Now upgrading my turbo for the second time! All this over a 3 -4 year period. Haha it’s addicting! One thing for sure I have a stout tow rig! 

EXACTLY what im doing/going after.  I think i'll spend money twice on injectors unfortunately.  I need 7x10s.  Good to hear you love yours.

I want to tow on level 3 without wire tap and still be able to pull the hills at 55-60 mph in 4th and 7x10s are probably the answer.  Before my turbo upgrade i needed level 4 to do that but EGTs got a bit warm.

With the way this turbo is performing, im certain 7x10s would get me to where I want to be.

These trucks are definitely addicting and EASY to work on.  Love it!

Just now, Threadzy said:

The 7x.010’s will support 500hp with the right turbo. Are you running the V2 tuning on your quad? 

Yes... i built a few tunes for the truck and it runs amazing.  I like the v2 platform.  

Ive tuned a few cars (turbo mitsubishis) and while v2 is still very limited, it gets the job done and is much superior to the alternatives.

I'd like to see fueling based on rpm along with boost....basically a 3d map you can customize based on rpm and load (boost) combined.

We also need more rpm plots for timing adjustment.

That turbo youre building will be good for 500+.  I shouldn't have a problem getting 450-475+ out of mine.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gimmie11s said:

Yes... i built a few tunes for the truck and it runs amazing.  I like the v2 platform.  

Ive tuned a few cars (turbo mitsubishis) and while v2 is still very limited, it gets the job done and is much superior to the alternatives.

I'd like to see fueling based on rpm along with boost....basically a 3d map you can customize based on rpm and load (boost) combined.

We also need more rpm plots for timing adjustment.

That turbo youre building will be good for 500+.  I shouldn't have a problem getting 450-475+ out of mine.

I had a V3 version that had more maps etc, but it was decided that the point was to allow even a joe blow end user to use it so we capped the project at "good enough"   

It would have been cool to go further with it, but I just couldn't see the masses getting into it like people do now.

I see the point of a Joe blow system for the masses.  I felt pretty intimidated when I first got my Quad V2. But reading through the V2 threads mainly yours and Mikes posts I’m fairly confident in myself on changing and making new tunes. But that V3 system does sound pretty awesome!

10 hours ago, Me78569 said:

I had a V3 version that had more maps etc, but it was decided that the point was to allow even a joe blow end user to use it so we capped the project at "good enough"   

It would have been cool to go further with it, but I just couldn't see the masses getting into it like people do now.

That would be so awesome.  The masses are here.. .bring it on!  lol

9 hours ago, Threadzy said:

I see the point of a Joe blow system for the masses.  I felt pretty intimidated when I first got my Quad V2. But reading through the V2 threads mainly yours and Mikes posts I’m fairly confident in myself on changing and making new tunes. But that V3 system does sound pretty awesome!

Totally agree... the videos @Me78569 made walking you through v2 and how to set it up really helps to get oneself familiar with this software.

I love v2 and appreciate it for what it is.

• Like 1

Nice work on the turbo.   $500 is not bad for the upgrade.  Glad you addressed the  turbine side as well.  That is the side that gets neglected and needs more help than the compressor.

There is a 57/65/14 GXE that is a good option for 400-500HP- spools really fast.

An even faster version is a custom s200 based on SXE that is a 57/61/12 good for 400HP

and of course the HE351cw 60/60/9 (although the 9cm is able to flow better than the hx35 12cm due in large part to the better wastegate design) good for 450HP

I have a bunch of rebuilt injectors we are clearing out, 1 year warranty.  I am posting it here on Mopar1973man first.  @gimmie11s

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dieselautopower said:

Nice work on the turbo.   $500 is not bad for the upgrade.  Glad you addressed the  turbine side as well.  That is the side that gets neglected and needs more help than the compressor.

There is a 57/65/14 GXE that is a good option for 400-500HP- spools really fast.

An even faster version is a custom s200 based on SXE that is a 57/61/12 good for 400HP

and of course the HE351cw 60/60/9 (although the 9cm is able to flow better than the hx35 12cm due in large part to the better wastegate design) good for 450HP

I have a bunch of rebuilt injectors we are clearing out, 1 year warranty.  I am posting it here on Mopar1973man first.  @gimmie11s

I could really use the 7x10s.  So $400 with core?  I should probaby keep mine since i just put 7x085 nozzles in them literally last month hahaha.

What pop pressure do you set them at?

Funny you mention the s257sxe BW... I have a friend that runs 2 of them on a Mustang and loves them.  We are able to get the supercores for about $500 so i had thought about putting one on my truck but ended up just going with the hybrid.  I actually wanted more turbine than the 61mm on the baby BW.

Edited by gimmie11s