• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

MM3 ECM flash with Edge Comp box

But the curveball in the edge being the possible culprit is that I ran just the mm3 and these issues were present. The edge was physically gone from the truck during the very last attempt at this before restoring the stock ecm file. I guess to clarify, was it possible that physically removing the edge, trying to drive it (i.e. introduce a time span of engine vibration after possibly jostling wires) could have been the reason it stopped acting up, rather than removing the mm3 programming curing the issues? Once again I apologize for my newbie-ish ways.

the code suggests you have either a APP's issue or a wiring ot the apps issue.  

If you spent that money on the truck I would be asking the builder why you are getting that error code.

The MM3 flash should have no way to trip that code.   

Try flashing the mm3 back and driving, does the code come back?

• Like 1

I'll flash the mm3 back and drive to work tonight and post the outcome. If it does come back I will double triple and quadruple check all the wiring to be certain it's not related to a deficient reference, ground, supply, short, etc.

Hey all, sorry about the delayed update, took a little longer than expected to come back from the dead due to getting serial murdered at work. So. Drove a 35 mile loop again with stock ecm file just to be certain i hadn't missed any detail or variable and also in the hopes that the apps would act up thus making this an easy fix. Not a hiccup to be had (plenty of smoke though). Reflashed the ecm with the mm3 program and went on the same loop. Bucking still present with all 4 tunes. No tps issues in level 1. Levels 2, 3, and 4, tps code p0121 every time upon loading engine regardless of percentage of throttle. Clear everything and recalibrate apps. Plug data link into comp box (mm3 on level 1), p0121 every time engine loaded regardless of comp box setting. Remove comp box again, recalibrate apps, re run loop with mm3 flash same results (no p0121 in level 1, present in all other levels). Return to stock ecm file, no p0121. At that point I'm full level Curious George and get out my multimeter. Resistance to ground is infinite with appropriate wiring (thank you mopar1973man for the wiring diagrams!) Not being satisfied, use a megger to insure insulation isn't compromised, no issues. Check and recheck dc voltages using a UL certified 12vdc power supply as reference voltage, everything correct... It's an entire season of LOST goin on over here now. Ordered an apps from blue-chip, and still waiting on quadzilla to arrive. I guess my plan at this point is to replace apps first and see what happens. Quadzilla is going in regardless, but first I want to see where all these shenanigans are coming from.

Could electrical "noise" be a possible cause?? I used self vulcanizing rubber tape from TPC Wire on battery and alternator connections to try and eliminate that as a variable but maybe it's possible from somewhere else??

When you say messing with the table. Do you mean being able to adjust what is seen as an output or that the voltage actually coming out of the apps is wrong?

If being able to alter what the ecm is seeing in terms of apps voltage is possible with the mm3, it would completely make sense why it's not acting up on level 1, but on all others.

There is a table in UDC programming that you can set the voltage to TPS input conversion.    I am wondering if maybe the tuner messed with the table and maybe now the app's say it is inputting TPS, but hte ecm doesn't see that in the table.  

that 121 code is typically where the apps says it is not idle, but the IVS in the apps says it is, or something along those lines.  

Ok ok I'm starting to see where this might be coming from. So instead of replacing apps first, what i should do is quadzillafy this thing first and if the issue is gone like yesterday then it would be reasonable to say the table was altered.

If the apps voltage is scaled on a non linear curve by the programmer, would it be possible to say that is also what is causing the bucking around 2000rpm regardless of tune level but not present with stock ecm file?

Just got an email from quadzilla and the tuner will be here on the 5th, so I'll be able to further diagnose/eliminate variables when that arrives. Until then I'm not going to take any unproductive risks and just drive the chopstickmobile (Hyundai rental car). On that note, any recommendations on numeric  Android version and/or tablet to use with the quadzilla?

• Staff

I don't see anything to adjust TPS voltage, or anything that I would even remotely consider as capable of creating a hardware code.

@3jks05 when you switch from tunes 1-4 is it a RTG flash or a full retune?

@Me78569 what do you think the VP/ECM would do if you tuned the timing table without knowledge of the base table? Could it buck if it hits the max timing advance?

I expect bucking and APPS codes from modules, not from programmers. This is perplexing, but I'm a 5.9 CR guy and not as much of a VP guy.