• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Nv5600 clutch time

Well guys, it’s time to change the clutch in my 02 with 103k on it. It held all last summer until I got it to slip up hill in 6th with the quad on level 6. This truck is a summer driver/toy that I plan on building to around 500-550 hp. My brother has an 01 with this clutch https://www.dieselautopower.com/1999-2005-cummins-nv5600-13-x-1-375-single-disc-performance-replacement-ceramic that I’m also considering. However, i’ve read that a factory replacement pilot bushing may be a better option than the bearing. I’d hate to have the bearing fail and pull the trans again. Thoughts on this? Also as far as the flywheel goes, would my best option be to just get it resurfaced? First time doing this job so all advice is appreciated. 

47 minutes ago, Ralph_5.9 said:

However, i’ve read that a factory replacement pilot bushing may be a better option than the bearing

You will probably hear different opinions about pilot bearings / bushings.  My original clutch replacement was at 297,000 miles due to a OEM pilot bearing failure (needle bearing style).  It caused some damage to the transmission input shaft pilot bearing surface. 

56 minutes ago, Ralph_5.9 said:

Also as far as the flywheel goes, would my best option be to just get it resurfaced?

When you buy clutch packages, new flywheels are cheap compared to trying to resurface and cleanup heat cracks and hot spots on the old flywheel.  In my opinion resurfacing the old flywheel is not worth the risk of poor performance (grabby, chattering, slipping clutch) that could occur, especially when considering how much labor is involved to replaced it.

- John

• Like 1

Bushing or bearing both have pros and cons. Bearing better performance less fault tolerant. Bushing better fault tolerance less performance. The 6 speed is already stiff to shift and hard on syncros so a bearing could be better.

• Like 1

• Owner

I'm running the Valair Dual Clutch... Let say I won't buy this one twice. I'll return back to South Bend Clutch with a dual disc in their set up. Hold the clutch in the throwout bearing is loud. I've had my transmission out twice and inspect the clutch twice and there is nothing wrong with it. Just a loud clutch. My pilot bearing is sealed ball bearing not needle rollers like stock. 

Ok so the needle bearing came from the factory, I thought I read it was a bushing. Did your sealed ball bearing come in the kit? It’s kind of hard to tell but it looks like a needle bearing in the pics on dap’s site. 

So I’m thinking I’ll be better off with a kit rather than piece it together. Considering this https://www.dieselautopower.com/south-bend-clutch-multi-friction-dual-disc-clutch-kit-750hp-1400ft-lb-with-flywheel-sdd3250-6. I was thinking about going with the single disk valair because I’ve heard about slower shifting and noise vs the dd. However, it is very heavy and aggressive for daily driving in my brother’s truck. How do the new south bend dd’s compare? 

• Owner
7 minutes ago, Ralph_5.9 said:

I’ve heard about slower shifting and noise vs the dd.

Shifting... Not a huge difference but just a touch slower on carbon syncros, now on brass syncros seem pretty good for shift speed. Throwout bearing noise is loud on the Valair, lauching on mine for what ever reason the clutch is jerky and grabby. As for performance I've never been capable of spinning that clutch even with the power I create and can roast the rear tires. I would do a second dual disc again but I would go back to South Bend Clutches.