• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel pressure 5psi. 0 at WOT

So airdog installed. Good fuel pressure now but still surging! I got a better code reader and I noticed something odd. Every time it Surged my reader says my speed is 137mph. When i hold at 40 it says 40. But as soon as I touch 45 it starts surging and shooting out all kinds of numbers like 137,152,157. The red line is speed. The black line is RPM

Dash speedometer is correct,  nothing like what scanner is reading.

E91E623E-C09A-4061-AB26-832D88443D93.jpeg

Edited by ColoradoColt

• Staff

What's the AC voltage at the alternator at that RPM/electrical load?

Path of speed signal: rear speed sensor at diff, connector at lower left fire wall (C129), ABS controller,  white/orange wire from ABS, connector at upper fire wall (C130)  to PCM

• Staff
13 minutes ago, ColoradoColt said:

Could cam position sensor cause this?

I think it would code for a problem.  Why do you think that it might be a problem?

Did the scanner's live date show the same speed and rpm readings?

What is the AC voltage at the alternator with same electrical power load and truck speed?

3 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

I think it would code for a problem.  Why do you think that it might be a problem?

Did the scanner's live date show the same speed and rpm readings?

What is the AC voltage at the alternator with same electrical power load and truck speed?

I only ask because my Uncle owned the truck before me and I asked him about it and he said he remembers the cam sensor causing RPM problems. The scanners live data only showed rpm not speed with it unplugged. I’m not sure how to measure Ac noise while driving down the road.

Edited by ColoradoColt

5 minutes ago, 01cummins4ever said:

Kind of sounds like a transmission locking/unlocking issue, @ColoradoColt you say it starts to surge at 35 -40 mph, Does if feel like transmission torque converter is rapidly locking and unlocking? This could cause a surging effect

Yes exactly what it feels like. I’ve fixed it before with a bad ground but this time. Way worse and happens all the time. It’s my daily driver so I still have to use it. Luckily I can go 30-35 everywhere in town 

It does sound like TC locking issues, and generally it’s ground related, I would start by checking the ac noise at the alternator like @IBMobile was explaining, and doing the w-t ground mod if you haven’t already, it helps a lot and gives you chance to see how the grounds are run and get them cleaned up, and good battery cables and connections are a must, 

you might try unplugging your alternator and taking it out a spin. 

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

On my way to autozone today it had an awful cut off. Seemed like a governor kicking in or something like my old Chevy... after it slowed down a little starting accelerating normal again. Scanner shows I went 168! Lol

Dash speedometer never went over 45!

• Staff

Every one of these trucks had too high of A/C volts noise. came from the factory that way. Then as time passes a little deterioration on the grounds and other connections things like your transmission start doing the dance. Drives guys nuts, especially when a new truck payment is 1500 bucks a month for 50 years.( a little sarcasm there) 

You need to get on it and do the W-T wiring modifications. It has shown significant results on every truck . I did it to both my second gen trucks and was a huge improvement. Without accomplishing it you are slowly killing your more sensitive electronics and can get not only expensive but difficult to find replacements. I want to say again..... both my trucks shifted fine and yet I still did the W-T recommendations to both trucks. A good volt meter can tell you the same thing you go to the doctor for....... checking high blood pressure. It the same thing on your truck.

Also do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

These guys will get your truck running so nice.... if you listen to them and don't get lazy...... you will be very happy. Remember short cuts or being lazy is for guys  that love the dealership :hug:and don't mind huge payments. :spend: