• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Turbo to tail pipe

I would like recommendations for some upgrades. Now that I have my quadzilla and the exhaust fell apart yesterday, I would like to upgrade everything from the tailpipe to and including the turbo. Plans include pulling the occasional 10k pound trailer (rare) and my daily driver. I do NOT want a loud exhaust at idle or old-man cruising.

Budget for turbo and exhaust is in the $1500 range, though less is better! 409SS exhaust preferred due to lots of salty roads where I live. Currently have HY35. Stock injectors, am certainly interested in some upgrades nozzles in the future - like around Christmas time.

I have the MBRP 4” exhaust with the muffler. Sounds great. No drone not to loud. IMHO if you’re not doing a turbo and injectors at the same time I would wait on those and just do the exhaust.  A bigger turbo is going to need more fuel to light it. You could do an HX 35 and when you do get bigger injectors you could convert to an Hx35/40 hybrid. Just my .2. 

• Thanks 1

I will throw my hat in for the donaldson muffler I have. They are typically only seen on class 8 stuff. It is straight through with absolutely no drone and nothing audible from the cab. Fully welded, and it is 51" long and 9" in diameter. If you are in a tunnel or near a building with the windows down, it sounds a bit like a muffled Kenworth. I'm unsure if they have it in stainless, but worth a look. Mine cost about $70 shipped several years back.

As for turbo, the more modern equivalent would probably be a he351cw off a 03-07 truck. I know the VGT off of the 07.5+ trucks can take an hx40 down pipe, I want to say the non vgt will too, but don't hold me to that. 

The he351cw is a 60/58/9 and hy35 is 54/58/9. The 351 is a decent upgrade without being too crazy. Will support 350-400 continuous.

Edited by That Guy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, That Guy said:

Mine cost about $70 shipped several years back

Any idea from whom you purchased it?  Likely calling a big-truck shop would yield a good price, but online all I'm seeing is $165!  And NAPA was well over $200.  With a heavy-duty muffler I'm less concerned about it being stainless.

I wish I still knew. I haven't had any luck finding it again. There are several models, and the 10" dia was like $30 more than the 9" when I ordered it. You may have the most luck looking for these models. I would just search for truck shops that sell them. Amazon is seldom a bargain anymore.

Should you choose to read it, the stuff below comes from page 66.

https://www.donaldson.com/content/dam/donaldson/engine-hydraulics-bulk/catalogs/Exhaust/North-America/F110028-ENG/Exhaust-Product-Guide.pdf

M090544 13-18 dB reduction    4" in & out 51" total and 9" diam  (i think this is what i have)     1158 cfm @ 1"hg    https://www.raneystruckparts.com/9-muffler-mak2191mf-m090544/?sku=20800&gclid=CjwKCAjwyo36BRAXEiwA24CwGYVh8-8eGMIzxrDMhpf3Q-dSL9WFMrcUaSwqbqi-xXFQ9Wz4l3qY5RoC27cQAvD_BwE    ~$95

M100464 25-35 dB        820 cfm

M100466 12-18 dB  1125 cfm     http://triplertruckparts.com/m100466-donaldson-muffler/  ~$170

Edited by That Guy
  • Thanks 1

That's the catalog I used to find it!  I narrowed it down to the M090544, based on the dimensions you gave.
Thanks for finding it cheaper, I tried just a search of the model number and "Donaldson", but didn't see the Raney's Truck Parts link, so thanks double for sending that.  Now I just need to figure out what exhaust system to purchase since mine is 3.5", and this muffler is 4".  And, what I need to connect it to the HE351, since I don't have a PacBrake like BlueOx01 does.  With two kids under age five, the wife doesn't grant too many long work days to me to fab my own, and currently have no operational 2nd vehicle!  Maybe I should start there. :doh:

The sell decent 4" turbo back kits as straight pipes for somewhere in the 250-450 range, usually with the downpipe of your choice. all the diesel performance sites have em. Getting the old system off is a lot harder than putting the new one on. 

Took me like 3 hours to remove with hand tools and about 30 minutes to put new in with same tools.

See if that's a direction you want to go. 

Edited by That Guy
  • Thanks 1

Diamond Eye 409SS at $343.08 delivered, for the win.  Ol' Dad had that system on his '01 Dually and he recommended it, all things considered (price, ease of install, durability, etc.).  I always found his truck a little loud, so I will likely be ordering the Donaldson in a couple of weeks. :lol:  It was $80 cheaper than the MBRP without a muffler from the same seller.

https://www.alligatorperformance.com/performance/exhaust-mufflers-tips/turbo-back-single/diamond-eye-k4212s-4-turbo-back-exhaust-kit-98-02-dodge-5-9l-cummins

I hope an HE351 will bolt up to this exhaust, or that I can swap the 5-bolt flange from my HY.  I'll be pretty darn happy if I can get this exhaust and a new turbo for less than $1000!  That will aid in getting some larger injectors sooner rather than later. :woot:

With a welder, all sorts of things start to look feasible. Going to an HX40 DP also opens up the world to a lot more turbo options as well. Keep in mind that the 351's were built with trucks that have backdrop exhaust manifolds in mind. Ours are all center and angled. As such, the charge air pipe and downpipe will need some attention. Really, even going to an HX35 will be a good improvement if you want something cheap to tide you over that is essentially bolt in with no work.

• Like 1

I have the welding machines, just not as much time as I'd need to fab it up.  The HX35 was my preferred route until not being able to find one used, and not wanting to pay $900 for a new one.  Maybe when it's Turbo Time I'll just call DAP and have them set me up right with all the required pieces and maybe even some injectors to match.

There are used questionable ones on ebay in the $300-600 range. Same with the he351...... there are also the $150-200 ones...... There's a guy on cummins forum running one with like 10k miles on it. I still don't know that I trust a $200 "new" turbo. I even saw a "hx35" reman that the compressor housing said wh1c on it, so, theres that.

3 hours ago, Threadzy said:

I’ve got a used Hx35 I’ll give you. Needs a lot of TLC. Soaked in tranny fluid for awhile to get everything apart. The wastegate diaphragm is toast.  I can send you pics if you’re interested.

Thanks, I would love that! Let me know what you need for shipping, etc.

21 minutes ago, LorenS said:

Thanks, I would love that! Let me know what you need for shipping, etc.

No problem.  Here are some pics. It’s pretty rough. The compressor bearing is toast. Looks like the wheel cut a groove in the housing. The turbine wheel seems fine. A little play. If you still want it. I’ll be more the happy to ship it to you. I was going to use it for my hybrid build but it was to rough for me personally. It looked better on eBay. ?

62435B4F-1497-4312-9460-4AAAD32AAE1F.jpeg

2F493985-5FAF-497B-BA28-A33DB2028B55.jpeg

5F7D33A9-F068-429B-B36C-96EBE56E6AB5.jpeg

3022BBCA-294D-4853-873B-91129BE0432C.jpeg

E38DC0D7-BCA7-46BC-9A51-9066AA5E5E5C.jpeg

78E72E30-C00A-40CD-BF96-E66754DD97B8.jpeg

I think it would be  waist of time money to upgrade turbo to anything less than a 62

62 68 12 paired with 150 injectors.

Muffled by the long fte twister muffler.  Your choice of 4 or 5"

The semi mufflers are more likely to hve rust problems then the twister mufflers because the packing traps moisture 

Your truck will then make you grin ?