• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

• Owner

I got called to this local gents place. It's a 2017 Ram EcoDiesel. I grabbed a code reader and it had a EGR temp sensor hi code twice. Then a code for intake leak. The manifold start smoking and smells of burnt plastic when its running. Come to find out this truck has a EGR and EGR cooler recall. I told the gent that there is no sense in me fixing it for a price when the dealer can fix under the recall for free. 

Time passes.

Now the owner of the truck gets a friend with a flat bed trailer. Calls me up because the truck will not start and there is no way to shift to neutral. Being smart I grab my phone then ask about WiFi but the gent doesn't have any but his neighbor behind him I done work in the past and got his WiFi so I found a video that explains how to shift into neutral. Basically there is a small square panel above the parking brake release you remove. When you pry that panel off you have to use a key or my pocket knife to slide the level lock over to right in the notch. Now at the same time pull the level out with the orange/red strap.You'll hear a click and now the transmission is in Neutral. We proceeded in loading up the truck so the gent can get it service on Monday.

Also I really do think there injector damage too. Refuses to start or run at all. Did start and idle when I first looked at it but now no start or run. Starter spins for a mere 2-3 seconds and it just dies. 

20200918_105354.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• 9 months later...

Any update? I know this was a year ago, but I'm looking at a couple of 2016-2018 ecodiesel trucks. I need a commuter, and my commute coupled with my frequent longer trips should keep the emissions system happy.

Owned an 18 ecodiesel before my 19 2500. 

On 7/16/2021 at 6:04 PM, LorenS said:

Any update? I know this was a year ago, but I'm looking at a couple of 2016-2018 ecodiesel trucks. I need a commuter, and my commute coupled with my frequent longer trips should keep the emissions system happy.

I got decent fuel economy with mine, despite 3.92 gears. In town was 16-18 mpg. Went up to Maine to a friends place, got 25 mpg both ways with 4 people and gear doing 75+mph. if you get the lower gears like the 3.02s or 3.55s (forgot the options), and if you have lots of highway, you could easily clear 27-30mpg. 

On 7/16/2021 at 11:03 PM, AH64ID said:

When did the “new” eco diesel come out? Very few complaints with those. 

I think with either the gladiator or the new body style of 1500s. 

I liked my little truck, if it wasn't for the fact I am trailering my 2001 for sled pulls, I would have kept it. And even now, I am having problems with my 2019 2500 (bought used and cumulatively has been in the shop for over 2 months). I had one issue with the ecodiesel at the very beginning, like at 200 miles, with a glow plug controller that popped a check engine light because it went bad. Otherwise, it was fine and it did everything I needed it to do besides tow my 2500.

If you are looking for one, stay away from the first 2 years (2014-2015), and delete it, or at the very least an emissions compliant tune. The factory tune is/was very very dirty (14-18 version at least).  I would have a full dpf every two weeks in the winter even with only a few minutes of warm up. My 2019 Cummins hasn't said boo to me about the dpf being full since September when I bought it. I never got the chance to do any major performance upgrades to mine.           

Edited by Silverwolf2691

I should be going to test drive the 2018 this evening.  I showed up Saturday morning but they had lost the keys in the preceding 15 hours!  My guess is the salesman accidentally put them in his pocket Friday night and took them home.  Being 2WD, I hope for pretty decent fuel economy and I do plan to immediately purchase the EPA-compliant Green Diesel Engineering tune, which also tells you when it's doing a regen.  I think this truck has the 3.55 gears.  The CARFAX shows the original window sticker, but I'm lost as to whether it got the 3.92 towing package gears or the 3.55 gears that are listed later in the document.  Speaking of tow package, it doesn't even have a real trailer hitch!?  There's something under there that looks like a normal receiver hitch, but nothing to accept a 2" tube.  Baffled by that.  It may soon get a Curt class IV.  And other things to make it more Big Horn or Laramie and less bottom trim level.

The OBD Link units Mike has recommended in the past can turn on/off various Body Computer settings, though I may have to upgrade from the LX to the MX (or borrow the one I bought for my dad :whistle:).  Apparently you can even tell the computer that you installed exterior LEDs so it doesn't throw codes!

1 hour ago, LorenS said:

The OBD Link units Mike has recommended in the past can turn on/off various Body Computer settings, though I may have to upgrade from the LX to the MX (or borrow the one I bought for my dad :whistle:).  Apparently you can even tell the computer that you installed exterior LEDs so it doesn't throw codes!

AlfaOBD is what you are thinking of, OBDlink should just be gauges. I've used it on both of my new trucks. It's fun to play with but its kind of steep money wise for only using it every now and then for upgrades. 

1 hour ago, LorenS said:

I should be going to test drive the 2018 this evening.  I showed up Saturday morning but they had lost the keys in the preceding 15 hours!  My guess is the salesman accidentally put them in his pocket Friday night and took them home.  Being 2WD, I hope for pretty decent fuel economy and I do plan to immediately purchase the EPA-compliant Green Diesel Engineering tune, which also tells you when it's doing a regen.  I think this truck has the 3.55 gears.  The CARFAX shows the original window sticker, but I'm lost as to whether it got the 3.92 towing package gears or the 3.55 gears that are listed later in the document.  Speaking of tow package, it doesn't even have a real trailer hitch!?  There's something under there that looks like a normal receiver hitch, but nothing to accept a 2" tube.  Baffled by that.  It may soon get a Curt class IV.  And other things to make it more Big Horn or Laramie and less bottom trim level.

TBH, you probably would never know the difference between the 3.92s and 3.55s with the double-overdrive 8 speed behind the EcoDiesel. I think I had to be doing 70-75 to get to 2k rpm.

Might not actually have a hitch? pics would help on that because there are a few different types that could be installed..   

37 minutes ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

AlfaOBD is what you are thinking of, OBDlink should just be gauges

You're right, the forum I had read must have "misspoken".  Or does the Alfa work through the OBDlink?  Like uses its Blueteeth?

On the 3.55 vs. 3.92 topic, if I start to tow with that truck versus the '01 I may check more into the 4.10 gears I see are offered by Yukon and Richmond, and step up to 20" wheels for some bling :woot:.  Lots of guys here at work took off their stock 20s for aftermarket, so I can get the wheels cheap/free and put on summer tires.  Keep the 17s for dedicated Winter tires (Blizzak, etc.)

The trailer hitch has me baffled.  I'll be sure to take some photos even if I don't buy the truck.  It's like there's a piece missing, or its only job is to reinforce the bumper when a ball is mounted to it - true bumper pull.

AlfaOBD only uses the OBDlink dongle not the app.

Depending on what you are towing.. the 3.92s would be close enough to 4.10s that you shouldn't need a change. But I know with a Cummins 4.10s make highway a bit rough. And the fuel economy takes a big hit. My truck has 4.10s. If it wasn't for the fact i was sled pulling, I'd have put 3.55s in by now. Best I've gotten is 15.7 mpg hand calc'd. Relatively mixed driving.

15 minutes ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

Best I've gotten is 15.7 mpg hand calc'd.

:wow:

Gee whiz! Even with the Adrenaline, wow.

Oh, and I bought the Ecodiesel this evening. ~50k miles. Pick it up tomorrow after they get an updated safety inspection.

Edited by LorenS
  • Like 2

Still learning plus having 4.10s and 285s still. 65 mph is 2150 rpm. Trying to figure out timing. Cant get oil temps close to coolant temps. On the highway (70mph) today after 45 mins, oil temps were at 207-210 while coolant was at 195-200. At 50mph i got equal temps with no cruise timing added.. but thats another thread to figure that out 

Edited by Silverwolf2691