• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Thoughts on an electric fan?

• Owner

Not enough flow rate. There is no electric fan that can keep up for our trucks. Especial for towing. There has been a few try it but most end up going back to the mechanical fan. Fan is normal just free spinning on the truck. Fully warm truck. There is no engine load to a good clutch fan till the engine reaches closer to 210*F now it will lock up. Heck I ran even for a full 2 winter without a fan to even see if there is a change of MPG from loading ... NOPE! 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Thanks 1

There are guys who run a setup with 2 Lincoln fans, which would get you closer to the stock fans ~10,000cfm at 2000 rpm iirc. The newer plastic fans off the 3rd gen trucks flow even more.

Now, the Lincoln Mk VIII fans I have heard flow 5500cfm while the Taurus fans flow 4500cfm. They pull start amperage like the grid heaters. Upwards of 60 amps on high for starting.  

I personally ran with no fan at all for about 6 years. Never had any issues in the the occasional city or stop and go traffic. Light towing at highway speeds wasn't an issue. Pulled ~8k up a 6 mile 6% grade with no issues at all with 60* ambient. When I did my recent rebuild on a lot of things, I reinstalled the fan (still hunting a shroud). 

If I was just putting around doing daily driver things and racing v6 accords at the lights with no A/C, I wouldn't have worried. Since I put A/C back in and intend to use it as a farm truck, a fan is necessary.

So, how do you plan to use the truck?

12 hours ago, Ravewolf said:

Just curious if anyone has ever got rid of their stock fan and went to electric? 

In 1988 I installed a 4BTA Cummins engine in my Ford E150 van.  It was a kit provided by Cummins which included an electric fan.  After a year or so running with the electric fan, I removed it and installed a mechanical viscous fan and a shroud.  Cooling performance was much better.

No one has mentioned the fan shroud.  The shroud is equally important as the fan.  The combination fan and shroud on our trucks produce a laminar flow through the radiator and other components and use just about 100% of the radiator surface.  The depth the fan is positioned into the shroud is important as well for maintaining maximum air flow.

Some electric fans are suck through and some are push through.  In general, push through fans are less efficient because the air is turbulent and flowing in many directions after passing through the fan blades.  The turbulent air has to be redirected which causes resistance and reduced efficiency which means a push through fan will have to have a higher airflow rating to do the same job as a suck through fan.  

The stock mechanical viscous fan and shroud on our trucks does an excellent job - not sure why anyone would want to change that.

- John

• Like 2

On 9/25/2020 at 4:57 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Not enough flow rate. There is no electric fan that can keep up for our trucks. Especial for towing. There has been a few try it but most end up going back to the mechanical fan. Fan is normal just free spinning on the truck. Fully warm truck. There is no engine load to a good clutch fan till the engine reaches closer to 210*F now it will lock up. Heck I ran even for a full 2 winter without a fan to even see if there is a change of MPG from loading ... NOPE! 

When cold and not running should the fan spin easily or with stiffness?