• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Injector Tips/ Nozzles and Wear Factors

11 hours ago, JAG1 said:

What I have read in a diesel marine book where lives depend on those engines to stay running at sea, says that you want your big filter before the lift pump.

I could see that why that setup would be and absolute "must" for a marine application - water all around and high dew points all of the time.  Although, on the upside should a breakdown occur, there is usually plenty of parking, but on the downside, most places the anchor won't reach the ground.

- John

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Just install a Quadzilla your in the high 300's

I haven't tapped the pump, and dont plan to do so anytime soon. Level 3 is pretty fun until I fill up and I get to pay for that fun!

1 hour ago, Tractorman said:

plenty of parking

Ha ha ha!

• Owner

Love too really but I'm not hooked up with any groups right now that are running any dynos that I know off. I've ran it YEARS ago and made 381/831 with Edge Comp (5x5) and stock injectors. Like I said you can be really close. Started a challenge with a friend and he was below me in power all he did was backed off the rollers into the parking lot and removed the outter duals wheel and got back up on the rollers and re-dynoed again and beat me by 5 HP. The winner was a 1997 Dodge Ram 3500... 

DSCF1649.JPG

• Staff
15 hours ago, Tractorman said:

I could see that why that setup would be and absolute "must" for a marine application - water all around and high dew points all of the time.  Although, on the upside should a breakdown occur, there is usually plenty of parking, but on the downside, most places the anchor won't reach the ground.

- John

When they have to keep a heading into the waves otherwise they run the possibility of capsizing. On my first get Dodge and both my second gens now, I have a clear bowl on the bottom of the pre filters to be able see water or dirty fuel . They also have a drain for when you drain them off . I have had to drain them several times in the past depending on where I bought fuel. You can see the grim and even sediment building up on the bottom at times, but not very often. Seems like it was worse twenty years ago when I bought my first gen in 1996

• Like 1

• Owner

Just had the fuel drain on my landlord truck start leaking and did a o-ring rebulid on his stock fuel filter. After installing 3 different size o-rings it stopped leaking. Then he turns to me and said, "In all these year I've never opened that drain why would it be leaking now?" :stuned: It's fixed and drained out. Now getting his started it took a Cummins to crank over a Cummins. Yeah I had to drag him through the yard to get his started. My laundry list is growing again. :doh:

Mine I need to get start on my steering without fail I need my truck ready for snow time. Lucky for now its only raining. 

• Staff

While talking about the need for a pre filter....I forgot to mention when I purchased my second truck (I have two), it had a 190,000 on it without having a pre filter all those miles. When I removed the factory filter it was like they never cleaned the bowl and never drained it. I had to get the shop vac with a reduced smaller hose taped to the end so it would fit down there as the sediment was stuck to the bottom of the filter bowl. Had to sort of scrape the stuff off the bottom. Now I know all that ran thru the lift pump without a pre filter.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

Mine had similar sediment as well. There was no pre pump filter. After doing some reading and investigation under the truck I found the fuel system was hacked together. I honestly don't know how it pulled fuel. The lines were if different sizes and just clamped tight together. I added a screen filer to catch bigger stuff pre pump. Fixed the lines so they seal and don't suck in air. Pressure was slightly better by 1-2psi so I feel in was needed.

That's also when I decided a future big line upgrade should be done to promote better, more consistent fuel delivery.

• Like 1

• Staff

I found the screens at the bottom of the fuel module were half clogged too. You know..... after putting on the big pre filter with a clear bowl it only took a short while to see a lot of junk floating around inside my filter. I would drain it off and in a week it would show more contamination.  It took about 3 weeks of draining the filter to finally see very little in the bottom and I changed filters at that point. Anyhow screens inside the tank are not the right way to set up a fuel system for a diesel.

• Owner

Why I went with a full AirDog. Prefilter before the pump. Then a 3um after the pump. Majority of the fuel returned to the tank at the AirDog so this mean I'm polishing my fuel before even the stock filter gets it. There is a 7um filter in there. 

No screens in my fuel tank just draw straw. My first screen is on the AirDog...

@JAG1you used a RACOR setup, right? When I dug into their catalog I was nearly overwhelmed with all the options, like a kid at Christmas with a toy catalog. Then I was completely overwhelmed by the price, like the dad looking at the same toy catalog...

So, I went Economy route for a pre-pump screen, the WIX mount and Donaldson spin on screen, and got NONE of the options I dreamed of!

Do you have a good source for RACOR products? (If that's what you used)

• Staff
2 minutes ago, LorenS said:

@JAG1you used a RACOR setup, right? When I dug into their catalog I was nearly overwhelmed with all the options, like a kid at Christmas with a toy catalog. Then I was completely overwhelmed by the price, like the dad looking at the same toy catalog...

So, I went Economy route for a pre-pump screen, the WIX mount and Donaldson spin on screen, and got NONE of the options I dreamed of!

Do you have a good source for RACOR products? (If that's what you used)

Yeah I have a good source, I find who's got what I want and when I get there I don't look at how much I'm handing over. :thumb1: Works a little bit.

I go to Six Robblees in Milwaukie, Oregon. They know how to talk Turkey on price somewhat and stocks Donaldson for oil, air and stock fuel filter. Also stocks Racor. Oil Filter Service in Portland not so much. For my second truck I got lucky because the owners son bought it new and then sold the truck before putting it on his Ford. Even the lowered priced surprised me how much, but I got it anyhow. Racor says their filters are designed different ways, either for the suction side and others for the pressure side..

Years ago I bought the filter mount that you could re prime the truck with that really great hand pump on it. It was wonderful for getting up and running again. I let that one get away on my old 92 truck :duh:

• Like 1