• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1995 Ford F-350 Injector clean up and reseal.

Mopar1973Man

• Owner

I've got to admit that 7.3L engines are fairly straight forward and easy to work on. The glow plugs are under the vavle cover. As for the injectors you need a Allen wrench and remove the oil deverter. Once removed you can use a 8mm wrench on the bolt toward the intake and 8mm socket on bolt towards the exhaust. Once the two bolts are removed you can use a small pry bar to simply lift the injector out of its hole. Things to take note of Ford OEM injector seals are black and aftermarket seal are like orange a light purple color. This biggest thing is being sure your high pressure oil rail is seal and the fuel rail is sealed to prevent crossing of the two fluids or leaking out into the head area or possibly back into the fuel tank. My project truck is 1995 Ford F-350 7.3L Powerstroke. The number 7 injector I didn't find a way to remove as of yet. Number 7 is the rear most injector on the passenger side. It hits the HVAC case and will not pass... I'm hoping some here could tell me the secret on getting that bugger out. 

Now Jacob when he get a few extra buck for another set of seals and glow plug we'll move over to the driver side and do the other 4 injectors. We did find number 5 injector was rather carboned over. 

IMPORTANT! 

Since Ford injectors have booth the high pressure oil and the fuel rail in the head when you pull any injectors the fuel and oil drains instantly in the cylinder. So to prevent engine damage leave the glow plug out and crank it over. When you do make sure to tell everyone to back off. When I barely spun that engine over the oil shot out of #7 glow plug hole and painted the hood black in one big spurt gun. Afterwards I installed the glow plugs and went to start up mode. Being that there is no line to crack or bleed the air out you can just crank till it starts. It's no different than Cummins when it does start there is air in the fuel and oil rail so it knocks and does sound horrid.

After cleaning up tools and taking off for a test run to warm it up. There was a small improvement and smoother running. Being only 3 of 8 were done we are just starting the project.

Q: Does anyone know how to get #7 injectors out of the head without doing something stupid like cutting a hole in the HVAC case?

20201115_153714.jpg

Back in 03 I drove people to the airport in E-350 15 passenger vans. Got great mileage, lower 20's every time. Of course they had highway gears, but I ran 75-80 MPH a lot of the time. A couple 1994-1995 vans had over 500k miles and just kept rocking!

Alas, I have no answer about injector #7.

• Owner

Dang... I don't want to have to pull engine mounts to lift it on that side or take the heater case off the firewall. Some say there is no issue and some are puzzled how to remove that #7 injector. Myself I pulled it up and tried rotating all the way around and there is just no position you can gain enough room. The only thing I can think of is pull the the solenoid on top of the injector but kind of freaked that there is a spring or something in there under tension. Don't need parts flying around not knowing what's under the solenoid cover. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

Watched the same video but the HVAC case is NOT the same. There is nothing to remove and the duct is much larger and square shaped. 

EDIT:

Yeah I see it now I went back out and spotted the screws hidden in a weird spot so not chance I'll get number 7 done... I didn't spot it because it was getting late and dark out already and couldn't see it. Now I see it in the daylight and above and below there is a small sheet metal screws. 

DSCF5102.JPG

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1