• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Another grid heater thread

• Staff

So in preparation for winter I've been checking and testing some things to avoid issues in the cold. It has been cool enough for the grids to cycle so I thought I would test a bit to avoid later issues.

I checked for voltage at the grid heaters in the intake horn. I had 10.33v DC. That didn't sound right, why not 12+ volts so I checked at the battery- 12.5 volts (engine not running). Checked at the hot side of both relays-12.5 volts. Then checked grid side of relays-10.33 volts. 

I'm going to assume this voltage drop at the relays is not normal or acceptable?

Is this showing the contacts being worn and or cruddy inside the relay? Time to replace?

Thanks.

If you had the grid heaters on and measured 12.3v on one side of the relay and 10.5 on the other side,  that is a 2v drop through that component.  So 17% of your energy is heating your contacts.   I think that is too much and indicative of the contacts beginning to fail.

Leave your grids on and feel the relays, are they too getting warm?   I never got to measure the voltage drop on mine, but eventually my originals got hot enough to distort (melt) the relay bodies.

HTH

Hag

• Like 1