• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla Tuning - From a newbies point of view

Hi all.

I finally got my truck back running.  Turbo and Exhaust manifold and a few other odds and ends needed some love and attention.

I'm planning to install the Quadzilla in the next couple of days.  All the sensors are in so it should go easy.

I have a basically stock motor mods are BHAF, FRRP Factory Raptor Replacement Pump, Bosh RV 275 injectors.

I will be putting an upgrade turbo S200GX-E in the truck soon and may upgrade my injectors at some point but the the ones in there went in in Feb 2018 and don't have a lot of miles on them so they stay for now.

I don't know the first thing about this beautiful piece of Quad hardware yet, but a little birdie told me this is the place to school up.

Some basic newb questions:

So should I work with the on board pre-loaded tunes first are does anyone recommend something fun.

What are the considerations.

I'm not going to be drag-racing the truck.  I am looking for good fuel economy, perhaps a bit more power, and I keep my 1800# camper on at all times so that's a thing.  I tow various things on occasion.

School is in session and I am your student.  Teach my ya'll.

I installed mine about a year ago, I don't have the time to build a tune so I downloaded 2 from here, both for stock truck as aside from Low pressure fuel system mine is stock and auto so being in the UK I cannot break a trans, no one here to rebuild a trans so it would be me and then it's back to time..... anyway

I have a towing and DD tune,  With just these 2 tunes set as they were written the truck is totally different, more mpg, smoother and more power, tows my 5th much easier too.

I was more than happy with it, but I had a adjustable boost valve which I'd never fitted ...... that thing time again...... fitted yesterday..... now I really do need to be careful with the trans, I'll certainly not be going bigger injectors bigger turbo until better trans is ticked off the list.

Someone no doubt will be along to advise you better as I said I haven't done anything with mine but fit it and load 2 tunes

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wil440 said:

I installed mine about a year ago, I don't have the time to build a tune so I downloaded 2 from here, both for stock truck as aside from Low pressure fuel system mine is stock and auto so being in the UK I cannot break a trans, no one here to rebuild a trans so it would be me and then it's back to time..... anyway

I have a towing and DD tune,  With just these 2 tunes set as they were written the truck is totally different, more mpg, smoother and more power, tows my 5th much easier too.

I was more than happy with it, but I had a adjustable boost valve which I'd never fitted ...... that thing time again...... fitted yesterday..... now I really do need to be careful with the trans, I'll certainly not be going bigger injectors bigger turbo until better trans is ticked off the list.

Someone no doubt will be along to advise you better as I said I haven't done anything with mine but fit it and load 2 tunes

good to know thanks

My truck is basically stock.  When I got started I bought a couple of Me78569's or AH64ID's tunes - I don't remember whose.
Using those for a while and slowly adjusting timing using the Adrenaline article got me to where I am now - which I believe is up at least 1 MPG, just off of timing.

One of my last trips I set the Quad to Level 0 and watched timing, EGTs, engine load, and throttle position a lot, to get a feel for the factory timing and its effects on EGT.  When I went back to Level 2, my EGTs, required throttle input, and engine load dropped for the same type of highway cruising conditions.  Now, the EPA may not have liked it because "parts per million" of NOx likely went up, but my truck was emitting fewer millions, too.

I cannot fathom why Quadzilla made Level 0 Stock and Level 1 the Valet mode.  If you have the Valet mode set very low at all, it makes it a real pain to switch between stock and Level 2 to observe differences.  Set valet mode to 100%, and that would likely go away - I just switched mine while off the throttle since I didn't want to change Valet settings while driving, and didn't want to stop.

• Like 1

• Owner

Skip the DEFAULT tune it won't fit. If your true stock maybe it would work OK. You upgrade injectors, turbo, and few other items so now the default tune would work but not optimally. 

Personally since most of the performance is in the timing I would start there. Run level 2 without CANBus fuel or Wiretap then you can build the the defuel curve to control launching smoke. I'm 7 x 0.010 and start my fuel curve at 80% for most everything. Like economy tune doesn't reach stock 100% level till 14 PSI. Then at the 30+ PSI position I'm only 123% over. (Beside the point). You need to focus and get the timing good for just your stock fuel. 

Right now I'm 13.0, 17.5, 22.0, 26,5 Max 27.0 That is max timing. I would twist this down to a +4 step. 13, 17, 21, 25. This will be better fit for timing. It will have good launching power. You light throttle timing advance would be +2 to above so 17 +2 will make 19 degrees for cruise timing. Low pressure timing reduct 2.5 with the scaling at 40%. Currently I did it yesterday on dry pavement pulled up 3rd gear and rolled into the power and rear tires let go instantly. (full wire tap - I know the timing for my setup is wicked). Max Load Timing Offset is 1 degree. 

Fuel curve you can build at any time dear but for you in "Commie Fornia" you better start on level 2 and get timing and stock fuel looking good then work up. 

Suggestion for staying clean. Measure your normal cruise boost level, then watch your rolling hills throttle, you want your wire tap above that. Like my normal cruise is like 5 PSI. Then mild grades and rolling hills I can hit 10 to 15 PSI. After 15 PSI the wire tap starts. The give great stability to running in snow as well without the sudden shock of the wire tap as when set lower also when it comes on the turbo is spooled so it just cleanly continues to eat while creating new smoke off the tires. :burnout::burnout2:

Two things to watch for shuddering is a sign of over advanced timing. When it sound flat and quiet your retarded in timing too far. When making changes its best to run a full tank through and see how it impacts the MPG number which is the best method to verifying if your gaining or losing performance to fuel. 

Screenshot_20210104-074622_iQuad.jpg

This is a +4.5 degree step might be too wide for your setup. Again start with 13 degrees and step up only +4.0. This should fit you well.

Screenshot_20210104-074657_iQuad.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, LorenS said:

I cannot fathom why Quadzilla made Level 0 Stock and Level 1 the Valet mode.  If you have the Valet mode set very low at all, it makes it a real pain to switch between stock and Level 2 to observe differences.  Set valet mode to 100%, and that would likely go away - I just switched mine while off the throttle since I didn't want to change Valet settings while driving, and didn't want to stop.

because there was a HUGE HUGE HUGE amount of work that would have needed to be done to make the old lvl 0 be the new level 1 and valet mode be lvl 0.  

nearly all sections of the code would have had to be redeveloped.  

• Like 1