• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Seatbelt indicator light issue

Hi all,

So my the buckle on my driver's side seatbelt was flickering the light.  If I pushed it in it would go off, for awhile, then it the light would eventually come back on.

It got tot he point where the light would only go off if I pushed the seatbelt into the buckle, full-time.

I purchased a new Mopar part from ebay, they are not cheap.  Replaced it and it worked as expected.  Them my truck sat for about 6 weeks.  On the first trip out the overpriced new buckle started doing the same thing the old one was doing. 

The good news the part has a 2 year warrantee, and they sent me a replacement.

The bad news, the replacement is doing exactly the same thing.  The seatbelt indicator light is on, The indicator light only goes off when I push and hold seatbelt into the buckle.

It is possible that I just got 2 bad parts?

Or is there's something else I should be looking at?

Any thoughts or suggestions on possible other causes would be most appreciated.

Edited by leety

Mine did the same for a couple years until it finally just stayed on all the time. I bought some seats about 4 years ago and installed them and light has stayed off ever since. Of course my seats, drivers side mainly, was worn down badly. I was on my second driver seat cushion and found a whole front row for !25 bucks. The light has been off since and the only part that changed as far as that goes was the seat belt buckle. It pugged right into the factory connection under the seat. maybe that connection needs some cleaning??

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

I have the same issue. From what you explained I wonder if the male part of the buckle could be worn enough to cause this? I might check mine this weekend.  I assume a new belt would be a PITA to install.

I will probably just disconnect the wire plug and short it out so the light stays off.

Later

D

• Owner

I would just jump the wires down under the seat. The two wire jump together turns off the light. The only solution is to get a new driver side seat belt latch to replace the wore out one.Either way it will shut the light off. Being California might do inspection on that light for function I would suggest the replacement route.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I would just jump the wires down under the seat. The two wire jump together turns off the light. The only solution is to get a new driver side seat belt latch to replace the wore out one.Either way it will shut the light off. Being California might do inspection on that light for function I would suggest the replacement route.

I actually replaced the latch and the first one I installed worked for awhile and then failed, it is under warranty so they send me another one and same issue.  There’s something else wrong but I’m not sure what yet.

1 minute ago, SilverMoose said:

Third part and same problem. Could the belt clip be worn that much?  Sounds like this could be one of @dripley favorite things. Electrical gremlins:doh:   Bad connection somewhere or possibly a pinched wire. I hope you figure this one out.

Later

D

Hi have a guy looking into it.

I’ll let y’all know what I learn.