• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oh I been working with moparman alot on this already, but having a difficult time finding a good timing setting then all the OTHER settings, cruise timing, max load, canbus fueling, etc.......

Egts are through the roof, no black smoke (not needed - just for testing purposes and tuning), I have went through 5-6 sets of injectors with dap, new vp44 (unfortunately not the dragon flow anymore) new lines and cross over tubes. Add everything else in sig+

Might still have a injector knock again, checked compression (amazing numbers) checked and set valve lash 3-4 times with in the last 2 months. Has white ish smoke on start up

Long long  story with everything and getting to this point but this is where I am now. 

What kind of engine build did you do? You had photos of the engine on a stand in another thread..

It might be your turbo for the EGTs.. the 71 turbine in the super b was known as a low drive pressure wheel so it flowed a lot but didnt spool well. The newer 73.4 supposedly spools much better. If there was a way to get a 12cm housing on the 71 that might help too. As for the white smoke not sure on that.. 

I basically just re-sealed everything minus the head. It's a stock engine with cam/springs plus turbo and fuel etc. 

I'm gonna do a complete build process thread at some point with all that I have done to it, maybe slide show too... 

Got my exhaust all back together this weekend. 

Found a 409 stainless  4" x 60" piece of pipe on Amazon for about $75. Everything seems to just be 48" max length or all the way to like 7.5 feet. I'm glad I found it so that I didn't have to add another clamp and 13-18? inches of pipe.

Now just have to get my injectors in and swap a cylinder head. Need to get my little green truck on the road, and sell my 2019 first though.. Green truck needs to be insured and registered but is mostly road worthy. Needs tires, a front end rebuild, a catalytic converter, and muffler to be a decent daily driver. Hoping for this week to be registered but we'll see.

• Owner
2 hours ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

New thing i need to diagnose. After getting my down pipe in, my Quadzilla is reading solid 300* tranny temps (engine oil temp for me) even cold..

Havent looked for anything yet.. didnt have a chance yet today.

Look for the ring terminal lead out of the Quadzilla. Tape it up so it not touching ground.

Priorities shifted to my 1500 recently so a bit of a pause for a bit. Need to un-basket case it to get it reliable for daily driving. Needs the whole front end redone along with tires and brakes all around. Tune up as well. Need to get a part swapped in the bell housing too..

That's what I get for trading a Milwaukee m18 impact and some of my time with my brother. 

• Like 1

• Owner
On 3/28/2022 at 6:18 PM, Silverwolf2691 said:

Priorities shifted to my 1500 recently so a bit of a pause for a bit. Need to un-basket case it to get it reliable for daily driving.

Yeah I know the feeling I just dropped $400 on a new windshield in the Grand Caravan. Also got my water leak fix being the body was rusted through at the top of the windshield. Two for one fix deal...Ugh. Being gasoline is dollar plus  cheaper than diesel so the mini van is getting more attention for the moment. 

Have adjustable track bar and longer Carli control arms (non adjustable though).. i need to go though my front end and see whats up with it.. its both tight and loose, as weird as that sounds. Just kinda feels like the front end is floating but it goes where i want it to with little hesitation..

• 3 weeks later...

So im still running my 50s right now but i think there is something wrong with them. Ever since i put them in, I've had low end smoke issues.. and yesterday i finally followed the tuning guide and figured out that to be fully smokeless, i need to be down at 76%. If i have it at stock they let out a decent cloud of black. Even taking off easy.. 

The 50s are from DAP from 2018? They dont have many miles on them maybe 20-30k? I'm a bit at a loss as to the reasoning why.. 

Low pop pressure?

Spray pattern?

Bad product? (Hope not)

• Owner

I would consider pulling those injectors and having them pop tested. +50HP injectors shouldn't really smoke at all, remember as pop pressure falls the flow rate will increase, timing is advanced, fuel spray has bigger droplets. I'm smoke free with +150HP injectors but popped at 320 bar, even currently I'm back down to near 310 bar just judging idle engine load. So new it idled at 13 to 14%, then now it idles at 6 to 7%.

Yes it's possible to lose 10 bar worth of pop pressure in the first 20k to 30k miles, I've seen it happen to a few members. Doesn't matter who builds the injectors. Just remember the lower limit is 293 bar according to the Dodge FSM.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Bigger turbo will slow the spool.  76% seems a little low for 50HP mid 80's would be more typical.  

"smoke" is also subjective.  To go smokeless you may need to tune lower like you have.  

If you want to send the injectors in to get inspected and pop tested we offer that service at a discount for our customers with our injectors.  Please call in.  Turn around time is typically less than 2 days for repairs.

• Thanks 1

Smoke to me leaving a lingering cloud on an easy take off I guess.. Never had to put words to it before. 76% is low on power but as smoke free as factory stock so far..

Injectors were put in August of 2017 and 25k miles ago.

Engine load has stayed the same since I had the quadzilla but I got that in June of 2020. Always been 6-9% at warm idle. Engine load drop probably happened while I still had the edge ez.. 

Not sure because if i dont turn them in for cores for the 225s (over 30 days.. dont know if its still ok to turn them in) they become spares.. 

Would it be possible to get them either enlarged or re nozzle'd with the understanding of extra cost added on if it is possible? 

I'm also fighting a slow map sensor.. there's 3-5 psi on my isspros before the quad registers 1 psi.. It actually gets more accurate/lower pressure difference with more pressure.. is this something to test to see if its bad or is this a luck of the pick for parts and i need a new map sensor?