• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Throttle linkage stuck at idle - cannot accelerate

• Staff

Have you ever had the throttle linkage where the APPS is connected to, ever get stuck (frozen) in -4° weather? Mine did last night at my friend's house. His house is 3 miles away from mine. I started out in 2nd gear and couldn't push the pedal down because the linkage was stuck at idle. 

But halfway between his house and home I was able to get it to move a little which brought me up to 2,300 rpm, so I shifted into 3rd gear and drove home at that rpm. 

When I got it in my shop within a couple minutes it thawed out and was normal again. I wonder if it did it because my pickup doesn't have the plastic APPS cover on it?

I have a brand new Timbo APPS on it that I put on this last Spring. I set it up per the instructions.

APPS cover, throttle linkage, or throttle cable needs lubrication? I don't see any frayed ends on the visible cable ends.

This is my 3rd 2nd gen dodge cummins and I've never had this happen before. 

Edited by 01_Cummins_4x4

• Staff

Either throttle cable but most likely transmission shift cable froze in its sheath cover and thawed when the trans warmed a little.  Since the cove is off, pull on the cable now to see how it feels. It should pull smoothly.  The next time it happens, with the engine not running, you can check it.

• Staff

I forgot to change it obviously, but it's updated now.

I just checked the throttle cable by pushing the throttle linkage to full throttle by hand and then worked the throttle cable back and forth. It feels smooth all the way back and forth without any binding at all.  

I wonder if having the APPS cover over it is just enough barrier from the extreme cold to keep it from getting direct ambient cold temperatures directly to the throttle linkage itself, cruise control cable end, and throttle cable end?

Edited by 01_Cummins_4x4

• Staff
53 minutes ago, 01_Cummins_4x4 said:

wonder if having the APPS cover over it is just enough barrier from the extreme cold to keep it from getting direct ambient cold temperatures directly to the throttle linkage itself, cruise control cable end, and throttle cable end?

At -4°, cover on/cover off, I don't think it matters; everything is cold.   Cruise control cable would not affect it.

@01_Cummins_4x4, I have had a Timbo APPS on my truck for over 70,000 miles now.  I have also removed the plastic shield.  So far, I have not experienced your situation.  Plenty cold over here in Baker City but, I haven't started the truck outside in below zero weather, just driven the truck into areas of below zero weather after the engine is warm.  

I would suspect the throttle cable.  It could be that throttle cable housing is shrinking enough in the extreme cold to clamp down on the cable.  

- John

• Like 1

• Staff
  • Staff

I'm trying to remember for sure, but I think the throttle cable could move a little bit last night when I pulled into my heated shop, and it was the throttle assembly that the APPS is connected to that was frozen stuck until it thawed out in a couple minutes in my shop. Is there any lubrication needed on it?