• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Gooseneck hitch

• Staff

So today I had some time to spare so I removed the gooseneck hitch from the bed of the truck. Boy am I glad I did. We have been pulling our 36' 10k pound fifth wheel (with an adapter) with this hitch. I noticed that one of the cross members was badly rusted, that's what prompted me to remove it to inspect it. 

All 4 bolts snapped off when I tried to loosen them. The hitch is junk. It would have been very dangerous if not catastrophic to pull the camper again.

See pics below.

20220227_142237.jpg.00bddf645f0fbbdc653b3234ce196e5f.jpg20220227_142245.jpg.f8d3593f9e0d7b86e7d17a7c66c22672.jpg20220227_142251.jpg.af93b46ed8e762b5bac33c57e6282d7e.jpg20220227_142311.jpg.efa7befdfccf5fb7c9b4ebf2b6e50f6b.jpg20220227_142316.jpg.7cee4ff158b7dae06ab659a97d26cc4d.jpg

• Staff

I have and was aware of what could be seen. It was much worse than I thought once it was out.

I also have another bed for the truck. Just needs to be painted to match. It already has the rails in it for a fifth wheel hitch and the top plate for a gooseneck. I think I'll just patch over the hole for the gooseneck and buy the frame brackets for the fifth wheel rails. I don't have anything that I need a gooseneck for. Just a fifth wheel should do just fine.

During the bed swap I'll repair anything that needs attention and paint the frame with chassis saver paint. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

UPDATE *********

So, gonna switch gears a bit for towing. Not the rear end gears literally. The gooseneck hitch is gone. I don't have anything with a gooseneck to tow so I ordered a fifth wheel hitch. I had the bed rails already (they were in the replacement bed I bought last year) so I got the hitch and all new hardware to mount the rails in the bed with new brackets to tie it to the frame as well. For now I will mount it all in this bed, the hitch will span the hole left by the gooseneck hitch. I did a test fit and everything lines up fine and bolts through good metal.

The replacement bed needs to be sanded, primed and painted before I swap them. To cold to do that now. Once done everything will transfer over with minimal trouble I think.

The 5th wheel hitch I bought is a Curt E16 which will tow up to 16,000lbs and a hitch vertical load of up to 4000lbs. Our 5th wheel is 10k empty with approximately 2600lbs on the kingpin. This hitch should be adequate for us at the moment.

Once all installed I will have to check clearance for my tool box while turning and such but I think it will all work out. Worst case, I may have to get a pinbox extended for the camper to move it further back from the hitch. Right now the kingpin is directly below the box which puts the nose of the camper closer to the cab and toolbox.

• Owner

One of the few reason I try to take the time lay on a creeper and look from front to rear. Check for leaks, rusted parts taking damage, loose fasteners, hanging wires, etc. I'll admit lately I've not been doing that and its starting to bite me. Yup. I've gotta get under there and do it very soon. 

• Staff
1 hour ago, Royal Squire said:

Looks like you may need a little frame repair as well. 

Yeah, on the driver's side. Ill have to repair the top edge of the frame. Should be an easy fix.

51 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

One of the few reason I try to take the time lay on a creeper and look from front to rear. Check for leaks, rusted parts taking damage, loose fasteners, hanging wires, etc. I'll admit lately I've not been doing that and its starting to bite me. Yup. I've gotta get under there and do it very soon. 

I have done that, alot of the damage I saw after the removal of the hitch wasn't able to be seen when it was installed. I know what I have to deal with now so it will all be correct before the other bed is set on the frame.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

20220320_152628.jpg.3a78042e1ce4ca603ec81a9dd62df602.jpg***update***

Got the 5th wheel hitch installed on Sunday. It spans over the void where the gooseneck once was. Everything went together well. Took a lot longer than I thought to get it done. Drilling the frame for the mount brackets was a bear! But all in all I'm happy with it so far. 

Once I have the other bed ready to install I will repair the frame where the gooseneck ate it. 

I also installed a second 7-way trailer plug in the bed on the driver's side. Thats gonna work out great with the 5th wheel. 

Not sure why the pic turned like that.....

Edited by Doubletrouble